2.5L Diesel vs. 2.5L Petrol

Thommo55

2 hours ago, Red90 said:

Yes.  You can do a little better with the TDI if you can convince yourself to drive as slow.  This is highway mileage at 100 km/h.  With the TDI, you get into the 30s at that speed.  The only way to get down to 22 mpg would be a complete tank off road.

I currently run 2 200tdi’s. Green landing is where they are most economical. Normal road use pottering about is more mid 20’s or under. I struggle to see a NaD bettering this as you’d end up driving it harder to keep pace. 

Edited by Chicken Drumstick

6 hours ago, Red90 said:

That is what any sane person would do.  Either go V8 or TDI.  Really silly doing conversion work to go to a 2.5.

Quite right, and in that vein, we should all drive Toyota hi Lux, or cruisers. 

Sensible vehicles, reliable and comfor...... snore.

G.

Horses for courses. If I were sane I would just hire a transit van every once in a while. Does anyone really buy a series/90/110/Defender for comfort, reliability and economy? I agree that a Tdi is a great engine but that said I think one of the charms of Land Rovers is the variety out there.

If it were my series, I'd be putting in a 2.5 petrol. It some how seems right to me in a series, same reason I have the infamous 19J in my 1988 110.

14 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

Standing by for the ‘go V8’ reply 👍😂

Normally I would say that, but if it's a fairly original truck these days I'd say don't do a conversion unless you really need to - there's enough TDi or V8 Defenders or Series conversions out there if you want one, an original truck is more worth preserving these days.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Normally I would say that, but if it's a fairly original truck these days I'd say don't do a conversion unless you really need to - there's enough TDi or V8 Defenders or Series conversions out there if you want one, an original truck is more worth preserving these days.

But he is not keeping it original.  He is changing to a 2.5.  That is the whole topic of this thread. 

27 minutes ago, Red90 said:

His point of originality has nothing to do with the MOT.  It is about the value.  If the block is the only concern, put in a 200TDI.  If you are hacking up the chassis, you might as well get something out of it.

As Gazzar says, it's basically the same block - no mods required - so you can park the 2.25 under a tarp for future reinstatement should you want, and enjoy a little more poke without having to register any changes to fuel type or number of cylinders.

2 hours ago, Gazzar said:

True, but it qualifies under the no MOT rules as original, being the same block as the series engine.

A V8 doesn't.

Probably a topic for a different discussion, but didn't LR make something like 6 Stage 1 88's? Would that count as a V8 being applicable for MoT exemption still?

1 hour ago, Red90 said:

The 2.5 is not just a straight drop in.  One of the engine mounts needs to be moved and the battery needs to move.  There are permanent mods involved.

You might need to swap the mount on the engine, but you shouldn't need to alter the chassis. Same as dropping in a 200Tdi. The only real difference is the 2.5's would be cable operated, not rod for the throttle. Pretty sure you can keep the battery in the same place also.

I thought so, but I was just assuming. When I get as chance I'll have a good look at the 2286 and the 2500 in the container.

It could be the timing chest is very different.

Oooh err missus,  

I think at the end of the day,...it's not about what's right and what's wrong. We ALL have our opinions and views. I love the sound of the V8 and the straight 6 cylinder BUT i can't afford to run one on a day to day basis. I only potter from here to there. A few years ago now, i had a v8 fitted in 1994 i believe, and the snow here in south yorkshire brought Sheffield to a grinding halt in under 3 hours, I was pulling people all over the place trying to get them on there way...( Sheffield has 7 hills and you must climb one to get out anywhere ) I was at it till midnight but the fuel cost was Horrific in low box, and i do mean that. However the 2.5 n/a diesel in the snow fall of 2010 was far far better as far as fuel is concerned.Land Rover ownership is like music...it's very subjective and it always will be. The main thing is ..we all love em....for what ever reason.

The 2.5 petrol will fit the SIII mounts by using the old engine's brackets.  A 12J diesel and Defender version of the 200Tdi would need a new right hand chassis mount due to the injection pump, but the Discovery's 200Tdi can get by with Series mounts on both sides.

As said, the petrol is much more civilised, so unless you're doing high mileage and need the fuel economy, factor that in as it does make a big difference to driving enjoyment.  Electronic ignition and fuel injection would make it far more efficient, too.  Also consider the current political climate toward diesel, especially if you'll need to drive it into town centres, as many cities are planning diesel bans.

22 hours ago, monkie said:

Nope it's in fine fettle. It's just not on particularly long journies and it's often weighed down with carrying stuff in a 110. I'm probably not that gentle with it either. I can do better if its driven gently with nothing in the back. I think driving style is the biggest factor with mpg.

I'm genuinely amazed!  That's so much worse than my 18J that I'm glad my spare 19J motor stays in the back of the shed as a parts donor.  Even less incentive to fit it now.

2 minutes ago, deep said:

I'm genuinely amazed!  That's so much worse than my 18J that I'm glad my spare 19J motor stays in the back of the shed as a parts donor.  Even less incentive to fit it now.

If it is economy you are after the 19J is not for you. I only have it because I want my 110 original. I accept Tdis are far better. I would imagine it would be much better on a long run if I kept it at 60 mph. I drive on all terrain tyres, up hills (quite steep hills where I live), often loaded up and often in a town. I would expect cruising along a level road on road tyres and not carrying much stuff around would return you better figures - but they are the real world figures for me and how I use it. Like I said, I don't think economy is high on the list when choosing a Land Rover.

1 hour ago, deep said:

My 19j 90 I had a couple of years ago only did around 24 - 25 on average too. so its no surprise to me.

The early 90 CSW V8 I have now only did around 15. The PO "tuned" it, and as usual never ran properly. had no engine in it for five years now, and although I OUGHT to keep it originalish with a 4.6 I have, I still don't know which way to go using that, or the Lexus V8, or even the BMW M57 diesel...…….both of which I also have.

The problem which I have with diesels (which I prefer TBH) is the expense of fixing them when they go bad.

But if the series were mine and I wanted to use a four pot, it would have to be petrol