Defender dash

Hi, i am wanting to strip the dash out of a 92 110 Defender completely to create as much space as possible. I will put in aftermarket essential gauges. This is a vehicle used in photographic safaris and space to move is essential with bean bag rests. What all is hidden behind the dash? Anyone done this before? 

I can’t imagine this being a great idea for the very small amount of extra room it would create.

The pre-TDCi Defender/Land Rover has a pretty minimalist dashboard as standard.

The best improvement would be made by removing the steering wheel/column, but then you’d only be able to drive in straight lines, could work in the African Savanna l suppose.

3 hours ago, Lightning said:

I can’t imagine this being a great idea for the very small amount of extra room it would create.

The pre-TDCi Defender/Land Rover has a pretty minimalist dashboard as standard.

The best improvement would be made by removing the steering wheel/column, but then you’d only be able to drive in straight lines, could work in the African Savanna l suppose.

Thank you for your input, i agree the space gained will be minimal but it will be some. i plan to move the steering wheel forward by a couple inches too. 

Well l guess you could strip the lot out as above, obviously l was joking about the steering wheel but if you plan to move that forwards then you must be pretty serious about it.

You might want to line the bulkhead with carpet or rubber mat  to make it look a bit better and cover any sharp edges.

l suppose a fuel gauge and speedometer is all you really need. The lights/windscreen wiper switches are on the steering column so no need to find a place for those.

Funnily enough just stripped mine out yesterday.
Are you in Zim? Do you need a heater at all?
If not, you could...
1. Leave the drivers dash and steering wheel as it it, not worth the hassle to move for a few inches,  easy to fix things then, resale value....... etc
2. Strip out as in the above picture, but also strip out the heater box in the engine bay, then mount the windscreen wiper motor (thing on the left of the photo) from inside the cab in its place. Then you have a saved about a foot of space from the door to the steering dash unit..
Send us some pictures with what you do...

8 hours ago, roamingyak said:

Funnily enough just stripped mine out yesterday.
Are you in Zim? Do you need a heater at all?
If not, you could...
1. Leave the drivers dash and steering wheel as it it, not worth the hassle to move for a few inches,  easy to fix things then, resale value....... etc
2. Strip out as in the above picture, but also strip out the heater box in the engine bay, then mount the windscreen wiper motor (thing on the left of the photo) from inside the cab in its place. Then you have a saved about a foot of space from the door to the steering dash unit..
Send us some pictures with what you do...

Yes i am in Zimbabwe, in Victoria Falls. I do a lot of safaris is Hwange National Park. I plan to strip out the wind screen wiper motor and heater for sure. The doors are coming off and i will be making new doors suited to photography. I have one more safari this week then will begin stripping the vehicle. I have aftermarket suspension to go on, redoing all the bushes, adding new safari seats and more. I will put pics up for sure. Thank you for the info. Much appreciated. 

Well i have pulled all the dash out and am very happy with the amount of space it will add. I plan to get an Auto electrician asap to tidy up the wiring and thin it out as much as possible.I think i will end ups taking the wiper motor out completely and get a single one off the back on a car and use that for drivers side only and mount the motor in the bay. I plan to use sheet steel and bend it to mirror the shape of the bulk head now then maybe put tread plate in the foot well and paint a rubber liner everywhere else. I will be changing the steering wheel to something more comfortable and plan to have simple essential gauges in the steel probably where they were before more or less. Indicators , lights etc i plan to put on simple toggle switch. Any advice on any of this or other ideas greatly appreciated. 

13 hours ago, Lightning said:

One way to murder the value of a Land Rover l guess.

Unless it’s for a specific purpose as above with Zimlandy’s l wouldn’t go there.

I bought it for two grand grand. Many many more of them lying around in Africa for much less and a little more!