Release bearing or something else????

sixtwoeight

Finally have finished fully re building my 2.25 petrol engine.

I fitted a new release bearing - I cant remember why i did, but I think the noise im about to describe was present prior to engine rebuild and assumed it was the release bearing so fitted a new one from Turners on re installing the engine.

With the engine running and in neutral it all sounds great - as soon as put my foot on the clutch  (about half way down its travel) it will start a horrible noise, difficult to describe but a load groaning, graunching noise.  With it in gear or neutral when I take my foot off the clutch it stops making the noise.

I didn't fit a new a clutch, and I didn't grease the release bearing - I assume I shouldn't grease it to ensure no grease gets on clutch. I also didn't replace the pilot bearing (forgot and overlooked that, concentrating so much on the engine rebuild itself).

I also fitted a new 1st gear and 3/4th syncro in gearbox before I knew the engine was bad, so am loathed to remove the engine or gearbox again!!

Any ideas?

Just been searching and found the following statement to determine release bearing or spigot/pilot bearing.

"To isolate the two, keep the clutch pedal on the floor and shift the transmission into neutral. If the noise persists, the release bearing is bad. If the noise is gone, the pilot bearing is bad."

According to the above it is my release bearing as the noise persists with the pedal to the floor??? Any ideas?

That test is assuming the first motion shaft in the clutch plate  is going to pick up speed to engine speed in neutral . Possible with a hot gearbox but stone cold with good oil it's more likely to drag and hence make that dry bearing squawk . If the thrust bearing has dis-integrated you would probably feel it through the pedal .

Either way it's split it to sort it out . A worn spigot bearing will also make this noise even when greasy .

cheers

Steve b

Could be release bearing - When I did my S3 i fitted a new bearing and assumed it was supplied greased and ready to go.  Thing was noisy - so when I had the box out as I was far from happy with the change quality of the 1st/2nd synchro that I'd used I got another and filled it with spray grease - and it was quiet.  The old one seemed to have traces of rust when I looked into it.

Spiggot can make noises - and should be greased.

42 minutes ago, secondjeremy said:

Could be release bearing - When I did my S3 i fitted a new bearing and assumed it was supplied greased and ready to go.  Thing was noisy - so when I had the box out as I was far from happy with the change quality of the 1st/2nd synchro that I'd used I got another and filled it with spray grease - and it was quiet.  The old one seemed to have traces of rust when I looked into it.

Spiggot can make noises - and should be greased.

Thanks, that's interesting.  I did spin the new release bearing before fitting and it wasn't as quiet as Id have thought.  I think il fit a new spigot and buy a clutch kit with new release bearing and maybe il risk spraying some grease into it and hope it wont get onto the clutch...and il grease the new spigot!

Cheers, oh and should I stay away from britpart clutches??