Is this practical

Simon_CSK

I have a Hawkeye for the P38 so really only need the software key. 

The most likely solution will be a TD5 transplant and it should be much easier than a conversion. Having done it recently it should be an easy swap as all the bolts will be free.

I have the V8 auto D2 and mileage wise on petrol the best I think I had was a motorway run which gave 17-18mpg. On lpg I get 13mpg running around home about 300miles to 100litres. Towing drops to 200mile ish which is about 10mpg.

so it isn’t great but that is on an engine which is 130k and had no significant work. 

Drives lovely though, just a shame the rest of the vehicle needs attention around it

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 2:19 AM, JohnnoK said:

Any more info on the OM606 conversion, please?

Despite the 606's known and widely accepted 'bulletproof' status, there are things on any 'junkyard' OM606 that require attention.

A standard engine has an IP which is EDC. You need to find a mech ip from an OM603 and at least swap the elements from the 606 over (6mm)

Better still, Goran Lindgren (superturbodiesel) and IP guru, will do an IP conversion / rebuild (better than anyone else on the planet) and you can bolt it on.  elements / bhp is your choice. an 8mm super pump is overkill for everything other than full-on tractor pull / race.  6.5mm is more than enough, by which time you will want something bigger than the standard turbo.

Glowplugs are a neglected item on 606's, and can cause big frustration when trying to remove / replace. an engine with regular servicing will not have this issue. rule#1 is do the glow plugs before you put the engine in the vehicle, and do it properly, you won't have an issue.

big bhp applications need the rear water jacket mod, and valve springs at minimum.  Mild boost and fuel needs nothing except EGR blanking plate.

There are some manifold shortcuts you can take which make it quick and easy to remove, it involves removal of some of the inlet manifold webbing between the runners, and it will allow you to access all the bolts with a rattle gun. Makes IP access / adjustment super easy.

EGR blanking plate. Any turbo swap will involve a custom manifold, to replace the OEM flange. F-tune Freddie is the 606 manifold guru. 

Alternator relocation bracket (will need exhaust manifold mod) raises the alternator higher to almost level with valve cover.

Dominic k2designandfabrication.co.uk makes the brackets.

SMT / GazFab do bolt-in conversion kits to the ZF auto or LT. 

12-13L/100km is easily achievable with a laden vehicle..  If you spend time (and some money) tuning and sizing your turbo correctly, don't drive like an idiot and learn the engine power curve, the economy can be far better.

But beware. You need to learn some Mercedes-language and stick to the Mercedes servicing schedules. If you do, the reward is absolutely flawless longevity. Any neglect or abuse without comparable servicing will net you a boat anchor, just like the bmw, Volvo, ford, duramax transplants. 

It's all relative, either be prepared to learn and enjoy the fruits of your effort, or stick with what you know and understand. Nothing wrong with a sorted 300tdi, I'd argue better than a td5 and less hassle, but they do have some obvious known issues which need attention.

So do the 4bd1t's, but you have to ask yourself, are we agricultural or are we accepting of modern technologies. Ultimately that's what will dictate your swap.

It's all entirely dependent on you getting a good motor first, and that applies to any swap, regardless. If you get a dud, then you're always going to be complaining.

• Thanks 2