Windscreen Woes

Hi Folks,

In the process of changing the windscreen on my 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi

Have a suspicion that the old windscreen seals were leaking and there was a stone chip that failed to be mended satisfactorily by Auto***

Ordered original parts - windscreen seal (LR056278) and new windscreen (LR042760)

However, upon fitting the new seal to the windscreen, it appears that the seal is too big. See images attached.

Checked that the windscreen size is correct - matched perfectly with the old one.

So before making accusations that the seal is not correct and sending back to distributor, please could folk cast opinions/advice in case doing something numpty.

Thanks in advance,

Simon...    

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

Thanks folks for the replies.

Yep. Original as in "Genuine" parts.

Had another look this morning and convinced that the seal is in the correct orientation and window is in correct slot. Also have a reference with the old windscreen too which helps.

At this point, think the seal is headed back for a swap for one that hopefully fits.

Simon...

Before sending the seal back I would  talk to the seller and ask if needs to be trimmed to size or should it be  so long as to make it a  tight fit to the vehicle and the  screen. They may also be able to point you in the right direction if you or it is incorrect somehow 

Hi Folks,

So tried fitting the seal to the frame. As you can see it's way over sized even accounting for some slack in the corners.

The old seal was a complete loop - albeit with a manufactured join. Have noticed that on most defenders, the manufactured join tends to be positioned at the bottom middle of the windscreen.

I'll give them a distributors a call tomorrow. See if can learn something. Thinking that it would be really odd to have to cut the seal to size.

Thanks for all the commentary. Will update this thread with the outcome.

Simon...

IMG_1251.JPG

Genuine LR on mine with no trimming, I think you may be surprised by how much it will form onto the windscreen. From memory mine was quite loose around the screen. The outer edge has to overlap the screen frame by a good 10-15mm all the way around and in your pic it's not even close to being seated.

Similar when you remove/replace door seals, you always think it's going to be too long but manipulating and gentle persuading usually means they fit fine,

• 2 weeks later...

How did you get on with this if you've done it yet? - I did a windscreen not long ago and the seal is flappy and big when you just put it on like that but when its properly engaged it sorts itself out - a tip for installing is to have the rubber in a bucket of hot water, evidently helps it a lot - I only got told this after I'd struggled for a few hours doing it a different way.

Mav

Hi Folks,

Finally got round to giving it another go. This time, the seal seemed to fit better around the windscreen glass by leaving a little more of the excess at the four corners.

Fitted a rope into the groove and lubed up with some silicon spray (the stuff used for fitting plastic drain pipes).

With the help of my better half, we positioned the screen and started fitting. It was all pretty straight forward except for one corner which as a complete *itch.

That said, once all pulled round and tapped in place, it's fitted really well. Not had time to test it for leaks yet.

Thanks for all the tips. Some images attached.

Simon...

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1290.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

By having to squeeze a seemingly excessively long seal into the frame, it means that the inboard lip and centreline at the corners will be under compression but the outer lip under little stress.  Fit a shorter seal and the inner lip will be under no stress, but the outer lip will be stretched and soon split.  We have all seen how prone they are to that, and a longer seal may have been their cure.

I have always used two pieces of string starting each string opposite the other one, Pulling on both equally so the screen will hold itself in instead of trying to pop out the opposite corner.

I once put a screen back in a Carmichael MK10 airport fire tender - the windscreens were NLA - even the screen rubber had to be purchased from a breaker!