Reasonable Alternative to Ashcroft AEU2522 CV

Gazzar

I want to try an idea on my lightweight, convert the front axle to CVs. Specifically the AEU2522 type.

I don't want to spend the money on the lovely CVs made by Dave Ashcroft, not yet, but I don't want to buy complete rubbish, either.

Who makes decent CVs? Are the £30 CVs any good?

Thanks.

G.

For a road vehicle, I think the cheaper CVs tend to be good enough. They at least have heat treatment although manufacturers may vary. I did buy a £30 one that had rough marks on the roller bearing surface so had to return it for another one.

IMGP6931.thumb.JPG.61d223bf2015761114e4b805903032a7.JPG

I can't say for serious offroading how they hold up.

Most things made in China and India are cheap, as the labour costs are next to nothing.  A CV isn't complex compared to many other parts, and the CNC machining processes will deal with most casting issues.

Ashcroft did destructive testing on a range of CVs, and Britpart came second only to the very expensive Ashcroft units on maximum torque.  I think they are given a much quicker hardening treatment than most others, which has the benefit of making them less brittle.  They lasted longer in my RRC than the genuine CVs under similar driving conditions.  The originals had cracked at less than 100k, only one of the Britpart units cracked by another 140k (no worse than the genuine) but the other is still going with no significant wear.

I've been given some surplus CVs to play with, thanks to Ross.

I think this part of the plan will work, but there's a lot of play on the splines, even with the tight drive flanges.

IMG_20181203_183913.jpg

IMG_20181203_183935.jpg