300tdi cutting out - what else to try?

Tractorman

So.. disco 1 300tdi manual, owned for years no problems.

couple of months ago, it died, no warning. Restarted immediately no issue. bit strange but nothing obvious.

then, 1 week later, same trip, same again. flicked the starter and it refired before we stopped.

6 days later..... and again....

Always within 10 minutes of starting, so cold. 1/2 tank of fuel usually kept so not low fuel issues.

filters checked, replaced, nothing found.

another week later, different trip but still within 10 mins, died and was reluctant to restart, but it did after a couple of mins.

and again today, as above but this time more reluctant to restart, turns over doesnt fire. waited a minute or so and restarts no prob.

stop solenoid seems ok,  believe spider bypass fitted years ago. lift pump issue? if so why so intermittant?

ideas anyone... please!

Hi,

Mine did the exact same thing. To prove what it is, I used a wire  with clips on and connected the fuel cut off switch directly to the battery, the fault went away. The trouble is then stopping the engine, just un-clip the lead to stop.

The real fault was in the unit hidden behind the radio. Pull the module out and prize it open, look for the mounting lug of the relay, that is the power connection to the fuel switch. The soldering had let go. The manufacturing process doesn't heat that huge lug up enough. Buy a cheap soldering iron and solder it up. Hold the iron for a long time to get it properly heated up.

Lots of car modules and washing machine ones too, have exactly the same problem.

21 hours ago, dave88sw said:

As above, or, i've had similar symptoms with a blocked fuel sedimentor, not the filter under the bonnet, the sediment bowl on the inside of the drivers side chassis rail back by the fuel tank.

These do get cruddy with age - just bypassing the sedimentor with a new length of fuel hose is the easiest way round it - you've still got the fuel filter up front to catch anything nasty

On 12/1/2018 at 8:51 PM, joe1 said:

These do get cruddy with age - just bypassing the sedimentor with a new length of fuel hose is the easiest way round it - you've still got the fuel filter up front to catch anything nasty

The fact that they block up in time says to me that they're doing a good job catching all the crud.  Personally, i wouldn't want to bypass it, a seal kit for the sediment bowl is not expensive and it doesnt take long at all to take off the bowl and clean it out.