Series steering column scroll hardness

I'll have a look when the vehicle is back with HerLadyShip - about a week.

But the columm changed throughout the life of the "Defender".

I remember that the steeringwheel boss we had on the original Series columm was a direct fit on the "Defender" one after the change.

A few people I know have used the "collapsable" bit of the steering where they make the change...

Arjan, you are correct. As stated the spline to mount the steering wheel changed at various times and body styles  between 36 spline and 48 spline. The Late Series IIA steering wheel is 48 spline and as far as I can tell should mount just fine to steering column upper NTC9068. The spline I don't know much about, but I don't think changed over production, is the universal joint end of the column which I want to confirm is 19mm-48. If the spline is what I believe I can get a U-joint to adapt to what I already have which fits all the holes etc to pass through the bodywork to the PS box while the LR collapsible link won't fit the existing set up. I am fairly sure I can strip the inner column from the Defender assembly and make it work with my series outer column so I can keep all the original horn function and mounting etc giving me a comparatively cheap nut and bolt solution thus avoiding the whole machine shop issue.

I'd really appreciate confirmation of the spline on the lower end of the steering column. 

Interesting. I have a 48 spline Defender column on the way which I plan to strip the inner column from and I think (Maybe I hope) it should adapt to my series outer column fairly easily. If so that will be a lot cheaper than paying a machine shop to cut down the scroll to what I need, add a spline and heat treat it. That, of course, is plan B if the Defender column won't work. I'll post up what I end up with.

The idea is to use the Defender inner column mounted in the old Series outer column. Assuming the whole plan works out the extra length of the inner column will be down into the engine bay. It is one reason why I have been going to all this hassle instead of just putting in a Defender column and wheel. 

For the record, do you know how long a Defender column is? I think it is approx. 28 1/2 inches but I could be wrong.

• 1 month later...

As I hate to leave a thread unfinished here is what I found out and did to complete my job.

I bought a Defender steering column NTC968 which has 48 splines at both ends and is 816mm long. The 48 spline version fits a 3 spoke, late SIIA steering wheel which means you can keep the original horn and Tex magna indicator talk. I stripped the inner column out and had the upper bearing land turned down to 22.5mm for its length and the bottom end turned don to 19mm for 150mm from the end.

32865212718_1523dca06b_k.jpgIMG_134,

At this point it slides into the Series outer column and the mounted bearing although the splined end is now a couple of inches further down. A Flaming River FR1727DD  3/4-48/1"DD universal joint adapted it to my original collapsible link and job done.  The components were comparatively cheap and the machining simple so I am much happier than trying to get splines cut by a machine shop. The only minor thing is that the original UJ was protected from crud in the wheel arch as it sat up behind the splash guard shroud. The new UJ now projects past the shroud so I may make an additional piece to protect it.

32865210058_e080187b99_b.jpg109 steering linkage 4 

32865208808_bbd884e354_b.jpg109 steering linkage 2

45841487935_49a9833d5c_b.jpg109 steering linkage 9

That's it. Power steering that keeps the interior of my truck looking stock SIIA without welded modifications.

• Thanks 1