Christopherdefender

Can boost pin damage my engine?

Hello. I have I defender 90 300 tdi and just installed a boost pin. I heard that it could be bad for the turbo and for the EGT.

the car is 100% stock and got so much more power with the boost pin and therefore wonder if I should go back to the original one. 

Anything that increases the power output of an engine will reduce its service life.

It depends what you value.

if I were fitting a boost pin and playing I would definitely have an EGT gauge fitted.

Yes.  If the EGTs are too high, you can destroy the turbo and melt pistons.  Fit an EGT gauge and learn how to adjust the injection pump.

Edited by Red90

• For ECU engines you pay £100's to a (hopefully reputable) company that measures your engine's characteristics and tunes it to what it needs.
  • For mechanical engines, you pay £15 for a metal shaft machined by a bloke in a shed, with no data to back it up or understanding of how your engine will react

That was tongue in cheek, but the margin for error in the latter is a lot larger, so engine damage is a real possibility. Whether that happens in 100 miles, 30k miles or never, no-one knows for your engine.

An EGT gauge would be wise, as well as regular servicing.

22 hours ago, dailysleaze said:
  • For ECU engines you pay £100's to a (hopefully reputable) company that measures your engine's characteristics and tunes it to what it needs.
  • For mechanical engines, you pay £15 for a metal shaft machined by a bloke in a shed, with no data to back it up or understanding of how your engine will react

Quite aptly put I'd say! Also people will fit a boost pin and/or tweak the pump on an engine/injector pump that's done 200k and is in desperate need of a damn good service / recon.

And with no EGT gauge...

danger_to_manifold.gif

At lest in this case, the owner is looking for advice.  So...it makes sense to be helpful and supportive instead of denigrating.