fearofweapons

Series III - Ignition Switch Woes

The diesel ignition switch, with steering lock, on the Series 3 was playing up so I ordered a new petrol one. 

I ordered up part PRC8230R however on trying to fit it I found it was smaller than the lock mechanism and so would not fit. In addition I have no idea how the old switch ever worked - the bar from the lock to the old switch is far to small and has real problems turning it. However the bar is a good fit for the new switch.

Can anyone tell me what the correct part number is please for a 'fatter' petrol switch? Or am I better just buying a complete new assembly? In which case would an early 90/110 ignition switch with steering lock assembly fit or do I need a specific series III one?

The photos below show the old switch and how the bar does not really fit along with the outer dimensions of old lock. You can also see the new lock and how it does not fit.

As always any help much appreciated.

regards,

Richard

20181201_135800.jpg

20181201_132950.jpg

20181201_133129.jpg

there is a small cast alloy adaptor that fits between that shaft and the switch module . Not sure on the diameter difference though

cheers

Steve b

7 hours ago, steve b said:

there is a small cast alloy adaptor that fits between that shaft and the switch module . Not sure on the diameter difference though

cheers

Steve b

Thanks Steve - I wonder if that fell out when I removed the switch and is rattling around in the dash somewhere? It might be time to get one of my children, with smaller hands than mine, to have a furtle...

It will be down there somewhere :) , it may fall out if you take the screws out of the lower edge of the bottom section and move it away from the bulkhead , been there before myself

cheers

Steve b

I'd be interested in finding a new one of those tiny little  bits too, mine disintegrated and I'd like to save the original ignition barrel.

Fridge - I would have sent you mine if I found it ( I couldn't despite finding some quite amazing 'dashboard fluff' down the crack. )

On Saturday we replaced the whole thing with a new switch, steering lock and key assembly. I immediately noticed an improvement in starting - the car now starts on the first turn of the key with no cranking - so the switch must have been fairly bad when we bought the car. Also the key now goes in and out with minimal wiggling - before it would sometimes get stuck.

Now I just need to work out what on earth the relay does that is wired into the live feed to the switch and the relay output into the coil - so the coil would appear to be always energised... oh you gotta love PO shenanigans with wiggly fizz. Time to put on my well insulated boots I fear.

Haha, thanks! If it ever turns up let me know :unsure: as I'm fairly sure it's not available separately and it's a hell of a fiddly little thing to try and make.