Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) values, whats normal?

Maverik

It seems intercoolers are an important tool in reducing EGT.

There is an anecdotal reference by someone on here to an EGT reduction of 10°C per 1°C reduction in intake temperature.

From my own experience on my Tdi, going from a standard intercooler to an Allisport full width intercooler reduced EGT by about at least 100°C.

That would seem to bear out the intake temperature theory.

HTH

Mo

Can I ask for some pics and details of the install of the EGT? Did you remove the manifold to drill it? Just tap it or something more involved to install the EGT sensor?

I have been planning to do this for ages but something else is always in the way.

I kept the old turbo that failed so I practiced on it before putting a drill near the one currently fitted (the one I bought off you Richard). I drilled and tapped the manifold to M12 and made an adapter to take the npt fitting that came with the gauge. That wasn't satisfactory as the brass adapter I made was too weak not enough metal for an M12 thread. I ended up using plan B which is drilling a hole (manifold off the engine) and using the plane holder that is held by a large clip that comes with the stack egt guage kit. This isn't overly satisfactory long term and I need to fiddle about with it a bit to get it to sit right. When I get my 200Tdi engine I will remove the manifold and ask a local engineering company to drill and tap an NPT thread for me. That is the route I would recommend. 

I'll get some pictures for you later on. When I inserted the probe, I put all the way and then backed out a bit so the tip is somewhere near the centre of the gas flow. 

@reb78 here's some pictures for you. First ones of the practice in the old turbo so you can see clearly where I drilled the manifold. Second one is showing the probe in place on my 19J.

IMG_20210509_132738.jpg

IMG_20210509_133000.jpg

I don't like the ones stack give you with the gauge as it isn't particularly gas tight. It looks like you have got a compression fitting which looks much better. I will investigate. 

2 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Yes it is a compression fitting Monkie.

Mo

May I ask where you got the fittings from please Mo. On this close up picture I have, you can see I don't have a gas tight seal going by the soot marks. I want to sort that out. 

IMG_20210509_133012.jpg

• 1 month later...

I took my 110 (19J currently fitted) on a round trip from Yeovil to Staffordshire to collect @ianmayco68 200Tdi engine and gewrbox. On the way up I was keeping EGT below 700'C by not pushing it too hard up long hills on the motorway. 

Coming home I was feeling brave and seeing as I had a replacement engine in the back I thought I'd go for it and see what EGT I could get if I pushed it. (for academic purposes). I managed to go just over 800'C and the coolant temp went to 92'C. 

When the 19J is out I shall pull the head off and have a look to see what that sort of temperature has done to the piston crowns. The turbo seems fine.