SV110

Braking problem, dont know how to continue

I bought a new aftermarket vac pump I while ago to replace a suspect pump. The new one was worse than the original. So the supplier replaced it for me the second one was just as bad if not worse. I ended up fitting a second hand vac pump.

Mike

13 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

At the risk of going off topic - what do you consider best in class? You mention Land Rover but from having owned a 3.6TDV8 L322 I'd have thought that's pretty much as best in class as you can get for an off-road vehicle. You did mention Land Rover not Defender :rolleyes:...

you got me there :D  worded the frase wrongly, meant more or less compared to general cars and from what im used to. I work as a Tech at a Mercedes and AMG center, And that compared to a defender is quite a big differance, altough i can inmagine the RR has good stopping Power aswell

13 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

It certainly sounds like it. I've just had the new vacuum pump delivered for mine and picking up a gasket at lunch today. I'm unlikely to have time until the weekend to replace it but I can run the same tests you your father has so see if it's exhibiting the same symptoms. Can then let you know if it fixes it :lol:

That would be appreciated then i know whhat i am in for or if i need to keep looking

10 hours ago, Snagger said:

If it's blowing, it sounds like you have high positive pressure in the crank case.  That suggests either a blocked breather or a lot of combustion gas getting to where it shouldn't, ie cracked gasket, head or piston, or severe bore and ring wear.

OK, Didnt Think of that the breather could be Another reason, I know it leaks a Little and there is quite a lot (more then i would like) oil getting back into the inlet manifold. dont Think it is head or pistons because it doesnt smoke and no loss of water or gases into the coolant

11 hours ago, Snagger said:

If it's blowing, it sounds like you have high positive pressure in the crank case.  That suggests either a blocked breather or a lot of combustion gas getting to where it shouldn't, ie cracked gasket, head or piston, or severe bore and ring wear.

Oh Another question when you say brether do you mean th squared box ERR506 or the thunnel/black cylinder ERR1471 ? could be good to know so we are talking about the same thing and what i may need to order or change :)

3 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I bought a new aftermarket vac pump I while ago to replace a suspect pump. The new one was worse than the original. So the supplier replaced it for me the second one was just as bad if not worse. I ended up fitting a second hand vac pump.

Mike

Annoyingly a day or so after ordering mine I had the offer of not only a second hand vac pump FOC but an entire 300Tdi engine :blink:. Don't have the space but I know where it is now! :D

1 hour ago, SV110 said:

altough i can inmagine the RR has good stopping Power aswell

In one word, it's painful.

There's an oh **** mode as well if you pull the handbrake while moving (car does as much as it to stop). Never plucked up the courage before I sold it as someone who had been through both a brick wall and tried it out said the brick wall was infinitely more preferable.

11 hours ago, SV110 said:

Oh Another question when you say brether do you mean th squared box ERR506 or the thunnel/black cylinder ERR1471 ? could be good to know so we are talking about the same thing and what i may need to order or change :)

The breather is the cylinder on the side.  They're empty and very simple, so unless cracked, don't need replacement.  Washing the unit and pipes through with solvent is useful.  A little oil vapour always gets through to contaminate the induction system, but it shouldn't be much.  Heavy breathing is a sign of engine wear or damage and is often not accompanied by fluid losses or contamination - don't rely on those as indicators.  Heavy breathing and pressurisation of the crank case are reliable indicators when present.

12 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

In one word, it's painful.

There's an oh **** mode as well if you pull the handbrake while moving (car does as much as it to stop). Never plucked up the courage before I sold it as someone who had been through both a brick wall and tried it out said the brick wall was infinitely more preferable.

I've tried it from 70mph it actually stops quicker than if you stamp on the brakes. But make sure your seatbelt doesn't have any slack in it.

Mike

7 hours ago, Snagger said:

The breather is the cylinder on the side.  They're empty and very simple, so unless cracked, don't need replacement.  Washing the unit and pipes through with solvent is useful.  A little oil vapour always gets through to contaminate the induction system, but it shouldn't be much.  Heavy breathing is a sign of engine wear or damage and is often not accompanied by fluid losses or contamination - don't rely on those as indicators.  Heavy breathing and pressurisation of the crank case are reliable indicators when present.

Thanks, i thought the breather has a mesh of some sort to collect some of the stuff. anyway that does make the faulttraching a Little easier. About the vapour i know there is some but i have the impression it is more then it should. OK, didnt know that or have forgotten about it from when we had it in school. it doesnt sound good so lets hope that it helps and otherwise i will have to investigate some more worst case swap the Engine and do an overhaul of the current one.