Sign in to follow this  
Ian_Fearn

300TDi Oil Leak Question

I've identified a new oil leak is coming from the bell housing drain hole.

I changed the crank seal for the upgraded version about 4 or 5 years ago so whilst I wouldn't be surprised if it had failed, i'd be annoyed considering its probably done less than 20k.

My question is: If the leak is due to failed T seals, would oil leak from the bell housing drain or somewhere else? (or maybe both?)

Cheers, Ian

Yes, it would be from the bell housing.  But it could also be gear box oil from the input pinion.  Are you certain it's engine oil?

Thanks for the reply. The box has MTF94 in it which is red-ish in colour so yes, definitely engine oil. 

Looks like engine out/box off again soon then.....

Edited by Ian_Fearn

Ah, the joys of a 300 tdi rear crank seal change !

Only use a genuine seal in my experience. 

Mo

4-5 yrs is not bad I'd say, the seal landing face on the crank wears over time so will never last as long at it was when brand spanking. - although 20k is pretty low.

On 12/6/2018 at 9:09 PM, Ian_Fearn said:

Thanks for the reply. The box has MTF94 in it which is red-ish in colour so yes, definitely engine oil. 

Looks like engine out/box off again soon then.....

I don't think MTF94 is red - mine isn't.  ATF is, though.  But once it picks up the dirt and dust in the bell housing, colour may be deceptive.  Small may be a better indicator, but checking the levels would be most reliable.

On 12/11/2018 at 2:40 PM, Snagger said:

I don't think MTF94 is red - mine isn't.  ATF is, though.  But once it picks up the dirt and dust in the bell housing, colour may be deceptive.  Small may be a better indicator, but checking the levels would be most reliable.

Interesting you say that..... I've just checked the remaining MTF94 I have in the garage in a genuine MG Rover bottle and its definitely cherry red in colour.

I figured it was because i've got cherry red fluid dripping between the transfer box and gearbox..... 

Either way, I've probably got another engine out job next summer to sort it all out.