Cooling fans

My V8 90 (1989) has two electric fans fitted but the thermostat to control them is looking a bit corroded and as I plan to replace the coolant and hoses I thought I'd treat the fans to a re-wire and fit a better temperature switch. The one fitted has the sensor wire tucked into the radiator top hose and clamped with the jubilee clip.

I'm looking at fitting an adapter in the hose with a threaded fitting for a temperature switch. The advise I'm after is two fold - first, what temp would you recommend having the fans cutting in and out at?

Second, from what I keep reading the general concensus is to fit the switch in the radiator bottom hose? Or is there a better location?

Cheers.

Bottom hose.

Coolant entering the top of the rad is hot (the thermostat has just opened to pass it for cooling) but just flowing through the rad will be all that is required 95% of the time. If the coolant leaving the bottom of the rad is STILL too hot then that is when you want the fan to cut in and pull additional air through.

The X-Eng housing is very nice and you can sort out the best InterMotor switch to suit your engine.

Many thanks.

That X-Eng setup is exactly what I was after! I was thinking about dual temp control to use only one fan if required but then had waned from the idea as didn't want the hassle of fitting two switches so the dual temp in one switch is ideal.

Bottom hose makes perfect sense to me. Also explains why my fans are nearly always running....

You can use the top hose but you need a higher temp switch. In theory the temp coming out the top is relative to the temp going in the bottom. The bottom hose is probably more accurate though. I drilled and tapped the thermostat housing on the ibex (200tdi) but used the spigot closest to the rad and had to change from an 88° trigger to a 92°. I works bang on now.

20170412_184837.thumb.jpg.eb793be2efa44e4053faf5a5220e0d84.jpg

The main reason for my choice was neatness.

Mike