Discovery 2 headlamp conversion

Simon_CSK

Have just bought a Discovery 2 face lift for spare to fix the engine on my 2001 D2.

Can anyone tell me what is involved in switching over the later headlamps to the earlier model. Shame not to use the parts when they are easily available.

I noticed in that conversion they set the headlamp up for the dip beam to be switched from relays. 

They are H7 bulbs could one not change the bulb type and the plug so the bulb was a dipping type so that in both lamps there are full beam effectively giving more light?

• 2 months later...

Ok now have the headlights fitted and done some of the wiring. 

All of the diagrams I have seen have two relays and two feeds one to each headlamp. When I wired it up today I tested only the near side and found that the dip beam back fed the off side. With this in mind do I need two relays or can I use the back feed

What are the pros and cons.

29 minutes ago, Simon_CSK said:

All of the diagrams I have seen have two relays and two feeds one to each headlamp.

I think you saw the wrong diagrams cos there is absolutely no factory fitted relay involved in the D2 headlamps operation, the lamps are getting direct feed through the lighting switch, simple as that, relays are present only if they were retrofitted

Edited by sierrafery

Sierra

Sorry should have been more specific. Am doing a headlight conversion from the square the the later twin headlight. The twin has separate dip and main and needs to have a feed from the main beam to the dip beam when the headlights are on main beam. This is so the dip beam is illuminated at the same time as the main beam.

I understood what you are doing. believe me i know exacty how the factory fitted facelift headlamps are working and my statement remains the same... the dip beam is not supposed to be on together with the main beam from factory...dip beam + main beam can be on as factory setting only on scandinavian specs with enabled daylight running lamps... here are the official diagrams from RAVE so see that when Y165 is closed for dip beam the circuit is closed throug Y167 to dip beam circuit then when when Y167 is switched to the main beam circuit the dip beram circuit is opened... that's how it was built to work, adding relays is some owner's option but i am not a fan of it cos the lamp assembly can suffer from too much heat... that's why it's possible only on scandinavian specs cos there is colder climate ;)

Facelift headlamps 1.jpg

Facelift headlamps 2.jpg

Edited by sierrafery

Sierra

I have been looking at UK spec conversions and it seems that most people doing the conversion are lighting both bulbs each headlight. 

I understand your point about the heat but I will be upgrading the bulbs to LED's so the heat will not be an issue. Also and the power reguirements drop then the wiring should be well able to cope with the reduced load.

Can you see any flaws in my arguement. As you say I don't need a build up of heat or the wiring burning out.

No, i have nothing against your plan i just dont see the benefit of having both dip and main beams on together . If that's what you want go for it just make sure you'll not annoy others in traffic when it's dark cos AFAIK LEDs have different beam than classic bulbs and an original LED headlamp reflector is different.... btw, are retrofitted LED headlights legal in Scotland? cos in most European countries if the vehicle was not factory fitted with them then it's a problem

1 hour ago, sierrafery said:

No, i have nothing against your plan i just dont see the benefit of having both dip and main beams on together . If that's what you want go for it just make sure you'll not annoy others in traffic when it's dark cos AFAIK LEDs have different beam than classic bulbs and an original LED headlamp reflector is different.... btw, are retrofitted LED headlights legal in Scotland? cos in most European countries if the vehicle was not factory fitted with them then it's a problem

Thanks

That opens another can of worms that I need to look into lol

From what I can tell so far is that if the MOT man and the Policeman don't have a problem then it isn't a problem. Will do some more research.

An example which i've seen here myself was that the insurance company refused to pay to a friend of mine when he had an accident one night and he had retrofitted HIDs(not LEDs) so the company said that it could have been a factor due to the altered light beams... i'm sure that when it comes to payment they would invoke anything 

Edited by sierrafery

My friend's car is also a 2000 one with plenty of miles but the police considered him to be the cause and unfortunately he hit a newish Audi A8 and paid for it's repairs(fortunately no one was injured)... so those retrofitted headlights costed him about twice the value of his old D2 😞

15 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

Thanks

That opens another can of worms that I need to look into lol

From what I can tell so far is that if the MOT man and the Policeman don't have a problem then it isn't a problem. Will do some more research.

It contravenes C&U Regs as the light unit is designed for a filament lamp the light output/pattern/spread etc is totally different from an LED or array of LED chips. Also worth noting that switching to LEDs of that size wouldn't change the heat much.... they might produce a lot more 'light' but they do also produce a hell of alot of heat when you start going up in size.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 8:35 PM, Simon_CSK said:

I noticed in that conversion they set the headlamp up for the dip beam to be switched from relays. 

They are H7 bulbs could one not change the bulb type and the plug so the bulb was a dipping type so that in both lamps there are full beam effectively giving more light?

I don't think you'd find an H7 fitment lamp that does main and dip. I'd have thought that they would have been made deliberately not interchangeable. Also, you'd never get a decent beam pattern on the 'dip', as the main beam part of the unit is designed for just that and wouldn't have the right light cut off for oncoming traffic.

• Like 1