headlight bulb upgrade options

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:21 PM, mmgemini said:

No halogen light likes having both filamements on at the same time, they don't last long

This is not true at all. full stop.

My headlights do not flip the filaments when on high beam, i.e. when on high beam both filaments are lit. The last time I had to change the headlight bulbs was when I flooded the bowls as per the above picture (3years ago).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BREAKER-halogen-headlamp-64193NBL-HCB-passenger/dp/B01LLKFWHI?ref=silk_at_search

Or here.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/lighting1/car-bulb/?48177019Z&1&cc5_847

On 12/16/2018 at 1:01 PM, western said:

Would you post a link to those please. 

just ordered a new set of crystal free form headlights as the silver reflective backing is going on my current set, & some Osram nighbreaker filaments from Devon4x4. 

Edited by neil110
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

new headlights fitted but got a adjuster problem, seems to be the plastic headlight bowls & the adjuster screws don't want to be mates anmore the plastic boss is not holding the screw thread, so bought some new metal headlight bowl sets from europa spares, hopefully be fitting these saturday & then be able to get a good dip beam set up [it's a bit to high at this time]

22 hours ago, western said:

new headlights fitted but got a adjuster problem, seems to be the plastic headlight bowls & the adjuster screws don't want to be mates anmore the plastic boss is not holding the screw thread, so bought some new metal headlight bowl sets from europa spares, hopefully be fitting these saturday & then be able to get a good dip beam set up [it's a bit to high at this time]

The new bowls are fitted, dip beam is now much better, just need to get it checked on a proper beam setting unit. 

I've usedOsram nightbreakers in the new headlights, I agree the output is much more of a whiter than the previous set. was following a workmate home on thrusday, on frid morning he asked if I had HID lights, due to the brighteness & a high dip beam.

If some people are concerned or thinking that osram nightbreakers do not last as long, then you are correct. Osram display this clearly on the packaging, rated for around half the life of a normal bulb. They are brighter as they burn hotter on the same wattage so just don't last as long and are more vulnerable to vibration. There are alternatives though, I have Phillips X-treme vision bulbs in mine, not quite as bright but superior in life span, still don't expect them to last as long as their base version though.  Sure there are other options too, Nightbreakers are just more well known about, doesn't mean they are necessarily the better option.

Last time I heard about nightbreakers someone said... "Night breakers, yeah, because they break....at night...when you need them" 😂

The legal requirement in Wattage for headlamp bulbs is 55/60W but you can get brighter illumination from certain bulbs of the same wattage, anything above that power are regarded as 'off road' and when more powerful bulbs are fitted in driving/spot lamps they must extinguish when the headlamps are dipped. More power, more heat so remember that a lighting relay must be wired into the loom to control the Amperage and make sure that the existing wiring is of a sufficient Amperage rating to carry the current otherwise things melt and catch fire. Courtesy to other and oncoming traffic needs to be practiced, how many time I wonder have all of us been virtually blinded by oncoming vehicles, it seems that modern vehicle headlamps are far brighter now, although they are within the Law in the Wattage rating it is the 'lumens' which have increased which gives the brightness, at present the lumens are not restricted but complaints have been such that the Government is looking into it.