200tdi with r380 gearbox questions

Background -

I have a 1989 defender 2.5td which at some point in the past (i think about 2000) was converted to a 200tdi with LT77 gearbox. The LT77 and LT230 are now showing their age and the splines at the input gear are very worn. 

I also have an R380 gearbox and transfer case from a td5 discovery 2 (with diff lock) which are in very good condition. 

The question - 

1. Will the discovery r380 bell housing bolt up to the back of the 200tdi?

I know that this the r380 is 30mm longer than the lt77 and that ashcroft make a stumpy bellhousing  kit for mounting the r380 to 200tdi but it is expensive and currently not in stock!! My thoughts being that if the r380 gearbox with the long bellhousing can bolt strait into the 200tdi i would just move the engine and gearbox mounts foreward by 30mm and thus save myself some money.

input shaft different lengt, spigot bush dofferent diameter, splines different, bell housing different length. 

it wont be a direct fit and needs stripping and bits swapping to make it fit. 

search on here td5 r380 into 300tdi will give you info on what needs to be swapped

Edited by Tim2809

18 minutes ago, Maverik said:

I've got same as Ralph, its done very well for the past 10 years, not overly happy with the ratio's in mine (a bit short), much prefering the latter given by a late model LT77's but pretty happy with it.

I thought they were the same Mav? What ratios are you running??

I knew this might come up, I'm not entirely sure, the box was built by AW transmissions, I looked into at 1 point and I seemed to remember it resembled the gearing from a TD5 era box. and it does indeed drive just like my farther in laws 2003 Td5 90, unfortunately I had little clue of gearbox ratios back when I got it built, so whatever was had a believe was thrown in. I need to dig through my notes and see if I can find the gearbox code again.

I was looking at getting my transfer box built up with some of those new gear sets (1.3) Ashcroft are producing now. I recon that would put it right on the money.

55 minutes ago, Maverik said:

I knew this might come up, I'm not entirely sure, the box was built by AW transmissions, I looked into at 1 point and I seemed to remember it resembled the gearing from a TD5 era box. and it does indeed drive just like my farther in laws 2003 Td5 90, unfortunately I had little clue of gearbox ratios back when I got it built, so whatever was had a believe was thrown in. I need to dig through my notes and see if I can find the gearbox code again.

I was looking at getting my transfer box built up with some of those new gear sets (1.3) Ashcroft are producing now. I recon that would put it right on the money.

http://www.red90.ca/rovers/gears.html might help?

Edited by reb78