V8 into series 3

Snowbird

I found on the net a fitting kit to put a V8 in a series 3 that included a bell housing adapter, engine mounts to fit it without cutting and welding the new galv, chassis ,spigot bush etc. I contacted the company M D Engineering but unfortunately they no longer make that kit. Anyone know another supplier please?

Used to be Steve Parker conversions but no idea these days.

In the UK at least, adapters come up 2nd hand but being in Canada I'd guess your options are more limited. The other bits are fairly easily made, or plenty of people use more of the donor drivetrain (gearbox + transfer case) to cut out the adapter and gain a stronger transmission with more speeds (or an auto). The only real issue is length in an 88.

You will also have to get the flywheel redrilled to take the smaller series clutch. Standard V8 one will not go in the series bellhousing.

You can fairly easily make the engine mounts and the spigot adaptor (lathe)

Attached is a bad photo to help.

I believe a friend of mine has got a complete kit in his barn somewhere, I will try and find it when I am there. No promises though, there is a LOT of stuff.

series V8 adaptor kit.jpg

Thanks smallfry for your help, as you said engine mount can be fabricated. I did once join a v8 to a Bettie transaxle using Ali plate and spacers but it was a real pain to get lined up.If you do find one I would be happy to buy it !      Kelvin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...