4CUIX ECU RUNNING A THOR MANIFOLD

I am putting in a Thor 4.6 into my 101.  ECUs are an issue so I am thinking of putting a distributor onto the front of the engine but would like to keep the Thor inlet system - the easiest ECU to use would be a 4CUIX as they are cheap and readily available and can be remapped to provide the extra fuel for the 4.6 over a 3.9.

Now I am not all that familiar with the 4CUIX but one I believe sensor inputs are similar to the Thor Motronic system.  One difference is the PWM valve on the Thor to provide air to the engine at idle - I believe the 4CUIX has some sort of stepper motor system to provide a similar function - so will the 4CUIX be able to control the Thor PWM or would I need to rig up a 4CUIX system on the Thor.

Are there any other complications I may have missed?  Also does the 4CUIX support knock sensors?

Thanks

Garry

I guess you mean the 14CUX ecu?

I don't think it can drive an PWM valve. Stepper control is completely different electronic idle control. PWM (2wire) needs as a rule of thumb an higher current than steppermotor (4wire).

Best is to use a steppermotor on the THOR manifold or change the whole manifold.

Also no nock sensor inputs available.

Is too hard with no real support outside the UK/US - looking at other options.

I would like to keep this discussion on the 4CUX running a idle air valve on a Thor manifold and not a discussion on the pros and cons of Megasquirt.

Edited by garrycol

Yep...

Once you start mucking about like that you are in a world of pain, much more so than building a MS installation. 😛 

The regular hotwire idle stepper is fitted to the back of the plenum, and is self contained, but I reckon you will struggle to physically mount it to a Thor manifold.

14cux valve is a standalone part and similar valves were used in many other applications, Saab's, Volvo's, Porsches etc. I seem to recall there are some versions with slightly different inlet/outlet pipe configurations which could be handy.

Edit- Google Bosch 0 280 140 501 and you'll get one with the ports in line with each other rather than at 90 degrees as an example.

5 hours ago, elbekko said:

Won't you have issues with crank length and the oil pump if you swap to a front cover with a distributor?

You just use a spacer on the crank - you use a cam with the dizzy drive and the oil pump is in the timing cover being driven by the cam.  All standard stuff.

5 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

The regular hotwire idle stepper is fitted to the back of the plenum, and is self contained, but I reckon you will struggle to physically mount it to a Thor manifold.

Thanks - I will get a hotwire idle stepper from a wrecker and check it out.  The Thor PWM is self contained and remote from the intake and simply unbolts so there should be space for the idle stepper but will find out when I get one. 

4 hours ago, zardos said:

As an alternative, Not Megasquirt but also not 14CUX but there are commercial alternative ECU's that can drive distributor less engines that have suppliers and support in Australia.
e.g
https://www.linkecu.com

https://www.haltech.com/

Thanks already looked at them - hellishly expensive here where the 14CUX is cheap and can be locally upgraded.

3 hours ago, Quagmire said:

14cux valve is a standalone part and similar valves were used in many other applications, Saab's, Volvo's, Porsches etc. I seem to recall there are some versions with slightly different inlet/outlet pipe configurations which could be handy.

Edit- Google Bosch 0 280 140 501 and you'll get one with the ports in line with each other rather than at 90 degrees as an example.

Thanks for that - very helpful