Deep water

SamW

Thanks Western. 

It certainly has its daunting moments but when I break it down task by task and do bit of research it’s certainly do able. 

Just almost fell off my chair when the head skimming costs came through. All in 380 (but fair bit more than just a skim, details in the pic)  

can anyone advise if that’s a fair cost?

Thanks again

26784C4B-A4C5-4107-9429-34B99603173D.png

Thank you gents

however the more that I clean/inspect the more questions I have 🤦‍♂️

So well I’m in there I’m changing all rods and pistons, injectors, glow plugs, fuel lift pump, starter motor (just as it seems sensible to do it well I can get to it easily), boost diaphram. Intend to get new timing other belts to redo at the same time. Along with the head works above is there anything else I should be considering doing at the sametime (engine is still in the vehicle)? 

I have also found some wear on the cam rollers, is this normal? Have popped a picture of the worst offender. Should this lead me to check anything else? 

I’ve ended up allot deeper (in cost and ability) in than expected but also want to make the most of the opportunity well I’m here.

As always any advice greatly appreciated. 

6B340C02-9E56-4480-8DDC-2C1521A65349.jpeg

91A73F27-CE71-4D9F-A676-27D4B0B8D877.png

On 3/2/2019 at 5:57 PM, western said:

don't be afraid to ask even if you think its a 'stupid' question, we won't bite your head off, we all had to start somewhere.

I think I would be in the runnng for the most 'Stupid' questions asked, so you have plenty leeway, - but I seem to be tolerated - and these might be the finest bunch of people we know!

• Like 2

Oakmaster, I couldn’t ageee more. Priceless advice and confidence building too knowing I’m not completely nuts doing this as others here have done similar and by sounds of it with similar experience. 

Sam, might you be better off investing less money into a later Tdi engine rather than the 19j that you have ?

I'm genuinely curious as the 19j is not a particularly revered engine and your keenness to rebuild it is contrary to what has become the normal practice particularly given what appears to be a growing parts list.

Whilst I applaud your efforts to keep the engine I really would question whether its worth the investment.

Mo

• Like 1

To be honest it’s two fold for keeping it going as is. 

Well im a fairly handy chap my engine experience limited and from motor cross bike And from what I was told this is a good engine to learn on. 

The other side is, I inherited it from my father (was his pride and joy) at the end of last year and well I’m up for making it more prepared for how I will be using it it just didn’t feel right to rip it’s heart out at this early stage especially when the damage was caused by my own foolhardyness. 

I have to admit that if I extent of what I’d need to do I would of given it more consideration but as I’m now into it not allot of choice but to forge on. 

Thanks Steve b, there’s my next task to check. 

7 hours ago, steve b said:

That roller has lost it's surface hardness and needs replacing , what is the cam like ? Any wear like the above would point towards a new camshaft . A new oil pump might be in order too.

cheers

Steve b

I’ll get my read on this evening, hopefully I can do this with engine in situ. 

With 19J TD engine block still in the vehicle, these jobs are possible. in no particular order ------

cylinder head, valve rockers & shaft, timing belt & timing case front & rear casing, sump, injection pump & injectors, stater motor, turbo charger, manifolds, glowplugs, camshaft/cam followers, rocker pushrods, big end bearings, pistons & conrods, alternator, water pump.power steering pump.

I see your dilemma about being a way in already. Fair play for sticking with it. Best advice I could give would be fit an intercooler:

The 19J being notorious for cracking pistons would definitely benefit from less heat going in. It can only help, and when you've spent time and effort making a decent job of the rebuild might hopefully save you some pain later on. Info in that thread suggests a stock tdi intercooler makes quite a difference, so no need to go mad with some huge shiny (expensive) after market thing. 

Good luck and happy learning! 

Nice one gents. Thank you for the advice  

Head back from the shop looks mint. far to tidy to be going in my truck!

Looking forward to getting back to it tomorrow, maybe just maybe be able to start putting parts back on a opposed to stripping more if the day goes to plan  

Will read properly through the intercooler thread, I can see the sense here especially as I’ll be putting more pressure on it than my dad did 

I have a 19J and considered the intercooler but I wanted to keep the original look so I haven't fitted one. Piston damage occures from hot spots on the piston crown (one reason why an intercooler can help). One of the biggest causes of hot spots is irregular combustion that can arise from worn fuel injectors giving a poor spray pattern. If you haven't done so already, have your injectors reconditioned or exchange them for reconditioned injectors. Don't drive too mad and your pistons should be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it’s certainly taken me longer than I would of liked but it started today. Any you were right Western, very satisfying getting it to start. 

I took your advice Monkie and went for new injectors all round. 

All in all I ended up doing 

new conrods and pistons

cam followers

re-machined head

new injectors 

new starter motor

new glow plugs

Timing belt and tensioner 

ancillary belts

new timing cover

Now need just change a couple of hose clips and fill up with coolant. 

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, between you guys, the walk throughs on here, asking my neighbour (mechanic) to check things from time to time I have come much further than I ever expected. 

Really appreciate the help so I’m sorry to ask again, but...

How should i run it in?

Im planning to do couple of hundred miles of flat and gentle 30 mph road driving then bit less at 40 ish and then take it out for few longer runs starting to build up spreed and duration. 

I’ll change the oil at about 500 miles and check the magnetic sump plug regularly until 1000 + miles in with out issue  

Sound about right?

When I ran in my rebuilt 200tdi, 

1. new oil & fuel & air filters

2. Morris golden film running in oil

3. drove it as normal for 250+ miles no hard accel or letting it labour in to high a gear, kept revs below 3500, 

4. after that mileage, dropped the running in oil, 

5. new 15w/40 multigrade & new oil filter, ran it to rack up 1000 miles

6. dropped 15w/40 & filter.

7. new Fuchs titan semi synth mc 10w/40 & Mahle filter installed.

then its just been driven normally for the next 6000 with oil & filter changes every 6000 after. seems to have settled in very well.

The running in period is especially  important for allowing the new piston rings and honed surface of the bores to bed in. Glazing is what you must avoid. Drive normally and don't let the engine labour in too high a gear or sit at idle for prolonged periods during the running phase of 500-1000 miles. Renew the oil and filter as you say after 500 miles. Regular oil changes are a good thing anyway, I change mine twice a year. I always have a few new oil filters in my garage with a 25 litre drum of engine oil, that way you don't put off an oil change because you haven't got the stuff to do it.