What diff lock or LSD for a 200 Tdi Series ?

Arjan

As per title..

We're getting to the stage where the Series Hybrid is coming back on the road and I could do with a diff lock.

I hace a Defender diff with an Ascroft Locker in it sitting at the shelf but I'm not sure I want that as I'll have an upgearing due to the higher ratio and that is in all gears - and I like 1st Low to be justthat : slow..

Let me have your suggestions please ?

That's as low ratio as one can get in a series, with out going for the 1 tonne transfer box. 

And I'm not sure that had a different low ratio, it was the upper range that was slow.

G.

I will not have Ashcroft transmission stuff - I have had some very, very bad experiences with them.

Let me explain a bit better the question as I am not a native English speaker.

I have a lockable diff here that I could fit to the Series - but it causes a higher final ratio drive and in Low I really like to go slow in Low.

Are there for the Series diffs LSD or lockable diff options ?

I think the answer is second hand ARBs, Arjan, RD03s I think they are. They aren't the best design, carry the older style locker and of course being so old, are mostly worn out now.

You can fit the 4.7 crown wheel to the later diffs in a lot of cases, though you either need a spacer as the original 4.7 crownwheel is thinner, or an aftermarket 4.7 crownwheel, designed for the later coiler diffs.

I know Soren's little 80" on here is running 4.7s, and Ashcroft 'coiler' ATBs, with some sort of coiler halfshaft trimmed to fit the 24 spline diff and different drive flanges.

The locking diff can be any ratio if you change the crown gear.  However, the pinion diameter is different for different ratios, and on 4.71 ratio diffs, the crown gear flange is further away from the pinion axis to allow for that.  It means a 4.71 gear set can be fitted to a diff fitted with 3.54 gears (4.1 and higher use the 3.54 diff centre), with the use of a simple spacer ring between gear and flange, but you can't fit taller gears to a 4.71 diff centre.  

So, if I understood correctly what you have, you could fit the Defender's diff if it's 10-spline and you use the spacer ring.  Otherwise, you need a Series dedicated LSD/ATB?locker.  I don't think LSDs are a great option due to the maintenance needed.  ATBs are good though.  You can get Rover and Salisbury types from Eaton in the Trutrac and from Quaife (much better, but also much dearer).  I think all the usual suspects make Series compatible Series locking diffs, including Eaton/Detroit and ARB.

Odd, I thought that last time I looked the Truetrac wasn't available for Series, but Ashcroft seem to have a solution to the metric/imperial bearing issue: 

https://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/limited-slip-differentials/detroit-truetrac.html

I remember the ashlocker not being available in 10 spline when it debuted.

I don't know that any Ashcroft diff is suitable for Series vehicles, but if they have 10 spline units, they'd fit.  The bearing sleeves may be needed for non-metric cases.  The Trutrac is available in 10 spline, but does need the bearing sleeves if fitted to the Series (Imperial) casing: https://www.lrparts.net/vehicle/series-2-2a-3/axle-and-drivetrain/diff-lockers-drivetrain-upgrades/diff-lockers-and-slip-diff.html  This company is also the cheapest I have found for the Trutrac in the UK, and cheaper than buying in the US and shipping.