Cross Brace in a 109 interior

tienvijftien

Dear all,

I am driving an 1970 109 with an AMC 258 engine, great car (picture in attach). I am going to rebuild the interior, transplanting seats from a p38 into the current setup. One of the things that I always wondered about: there is this metal bar (crossbrace) behond the seats. It replaces the bul;khead on the SWB models, I presume. Does it only holds the old seat backs, or does it has an integrity and structural function also? I believe the latter, but I wanted to make sure. Can;t seem to find it in manuals somehow. 

Cheers, Bruno. 

IMG_20181219_130123.jpg

I've wondered the same. I don't think it's massively structural, as the same structure is used in 110 and  defender 5 door models, without the bar.

If I ever get to build my 109 SW, I'll beef up the top and bottom attachments and I think that will do for strength.

Very good question!

AFAIK its just a grab handle for the 2nd row seat passengers, not seen a similar bar in a110SW. the bodyside frames are near enough identical. just looked in my up to 1986 110 parts book & that cross bar is listed as a 'grab handle'  part number 333395

Sure, but without it the seats have nothing to rest on. 

Series seats rely on the rear bulkhead for the back, which is why they are unadjustable. Unless they're deluxe versions.

The photo shows adjustable seats, seemingly not Land Rover in type, so shouldn't need the bar for support.  Any lateral stiffness the bar gives would be relatively small, given the nature of the brackets at each end (which would bend quite easily with any significant lateral load).