New swivels

Can’t say whether the labour is reasonable, but I’ve just brought those parts to rebuild the front axle on my 300tdi project and from memory

2 swivel ball kits oem quality £240

mitex discs & pads £50/£60 I think 

so about £300 for the parts , some one with more experience will probably know if the labour is fair , hope this helps.

cheers Ian 

Edited by ianmayco68

Sounds a bit steep to me bearing in mind that garage will get parts at trade price so that's looking about  £600-700 for labour can buy a lot of winter fuel for that job easy enough to do obviously need to drain oil and set up the swivel tension with spring balance afterwards altering shims to suit don't  know if you have used it before  but the one shot cv grease packs are great for re-lubeing afterwards

Appreciate that thanks

i thought a bit steep, but I suppose they gotta make aswell. I have used the one shot. Not sure I could be arsed with the knuckle busting in this weather. And the wife bitching about me working on “that bloody thing” again

altjough she’s first to love it when the snow comes 

😂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chambo110 said:

Fellas

quick question 

does £880 plus vat sound ok, to do front swivels, discs and pads. This includes parts

would love to do myself but at this time of year with no garage. I’m not feeling it

thanks 

£880 is very steep considering it'll take about 4-6 hours to do both sides yourself. The discs are off anyway if you're changing them so whilst you have the calipers out the way and the hub off i'd just keep going. Either that or do what Mo suggested and fill them up with grease until the temperature nudges about 10degrees.

2 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Personally if it were mine and the discs are not completely trashed, I'd top up the swivel oil, put some new pads in to tide you over, wait for the warmer weather and do it yourself.

Mo

Exactly what I would do. I got rid of the oil in my old swivel housings and put in some one shot grease. I finally bit the bullet and replaced them myself this summer. Certainly a job for nicer weather and more hours of daylight if you have to do it outside. It's not a difficult job, just not a particularly pleasant one.

Top tip - undo the filler plug first so that you know you can top up with fresh oil/grease before you dump the old stuff out!

If you're planning on having a go yourself watch these videos from Land Rover toolbox , videos explain it better than photo's .

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=replacing+the+swivel+balls+on+a+defender&qpvt=replacing+the+swivel+balls+on+a+defender&view=detail&mid=FA3C2D49D696131BB849FA3C2D49D696131BB849&&FORM=VDRVRV

There's quite a few , about 8 or 9 episodes explaining everything step by step .

Edited by ianmayco68

1 hour ago, Chambo110 said:

Found loads of vids now. Will definitely do myself and save the ££ 

and outta the saved £££ is there anything else I should check or just replace while I’m in there?

Thanks 

I think the kit may come with new wheel bearings as well so best to replace those whilst you're in there. Also worth doing the hub seals. There's also a good mod in here somewhere (that i can't find) showing how to notch the brake flexi hose bracket to allow for easier removal in the future. Definitely worth doing that as it saves you a heap of time down the road somewhere on your next job.

Check Ians 90 rebuild on the members vehicle thread.  He's just done the job, and has views on the kit he obtained from EAC. Also ,avoid cheap wheel bearings.  If it's too good to be true, there's a reason for that.

• 4 months later...

Time has come.. now we are a little warmer .. and me not has run out.. I need to do the swivels.

Question ..

axle code??

i plan to do cv’s while in the area, but, I see there are different types depending on number of splines. 23or32 I’ve looked on my front axle but cannot find any numbers to tell me what the axle code is, and therefore what cv’s I need 

is there another way of finding out what I have, before I open up.

thanks fellas