Replacing a 6-bolt steering box with a 4-bolt unit

My vehicle is a 1991 110CSW, VIN .... HA905197, but has a 300Tdi engine.   The power steering box has a crack in the female threaded socket for the fluid return to the reservoir, see photo:

DSCN1167.thumb.JPG.f38fbb650322bc526e8c70b72bb19f9e.JPG

This looks to me to be a fairly difficult fault to repair, but if members think otherwise I'd be very glad to receive suggestions.

Now my question.  The original box is a 6-bolt (Gemmer?) and I have a recon 4-bolt box, see photo.

DSCN1166.thumb.JPG.bbc45eb01e43a586ebde5b838c4c73ed.JPG

The only visible difference in the fitting appears to be the flat on the output shaft of the 6-bolt box, which is not present on the 4-bolt box, see photos.

DSCN1168.thumb.JPG.3b7a0a2714dd7b1c3ebf353f3c464742.JPG

DSCN1169.thumb.JPG.744d769af789d51c14d7403ac8bee374.JPG

So, can I replace the 6-bolt box with the 4-bolt box without any problems?  Do I need to swap the output shafts over? Are there any other differences I have not recognised?

All views,, advice and experiences will be very much appreciated.  Thank you.

Mike

I think that could be welded and tapped out you would need to degrease it and a gentle amount of localised heat to burn any oil residue away also plug the hole before running a tap down it to prevent swarf getting into the pump body. As for fitting the other pump give it a try nothing to lose as your 6 bolt pump is already off however the 4 bolt pump is longer from the fixing holes than the 6 bolt one and this may clash with your front cross member have had that particular problem in the past but was a total off road car so I modified the cross member if you offer it up to the vehicle you will see what I mean hope this helps

Indeed, I have done this on mine - replacing a 6-bolt with a 4-bolt. Pipe fittings are the same as above.

I believe the drop arms are different, so worth buying a new 4-bolt drop arm with new ball joint fitted. You can get Adwest ones for reasonable money, alternatively do the Disco drop-arm conversion that many carry out.

My understanding is that 3-bolt and 4-bolt Adwest boxes have a common drop arm, but the Gemmer 6-bolt one is different. And strangely the 6-bolt Gemmer has the same pipe fittings as the 4-bolt Adwest, but the 3-bolt Adwest has different threads.

to piggy back on the post....... I need to replace my drop arm ball joint, in my old parts manual I see a "kit" part number of RTC 4198, is this correct?

I see a circlip on the back of the ball joint, are these easy to change or do I need to take out the whole drop arm?

mine is a LHD 1983 110, I suspect the power steering might have been fitted at a later stage.

Edited by bodumatau
added vehicle info

Well, thank you, all, you've given me a lot of confidence that I can change out the box without any trouble.  A great Christmas present.  Now I can attempt to repair the old box without worrying that if it doesn't work out I'll be looking for a new one.  And I wish you all a very good Christmas and a muddy new year.

Mike

• Like 1

Just for the sake of pedantry... the Gemmer 6-bolt unit is described in the factory manual as the "heavy duty" and the 4-bolt "light duty"... I know everyone rips them off and fits 4-bolts because they're cheap and plentiful but it's worth mentioning LR made a distinction between the units.