Robs 90 called Billy

I made a number plate bracket out of a piece of aluminium. It’s bolted to the rear of the Husky and should still allow flow to the rad.

640E16EA-5DAA-4991-91DB-D2AF7C6E2775.thumb.jpeg.54d47aeb995d489692924b0488087f10.jpeg

F2723811-EF9F-4E58-8B42-DB43766224D5.thumb.jpeg.2e19a736fd7b7d0f8c94475414657df8.jpeg

Lots of little jobs left to do. Still waiting for my V5 back before I can MOT and and tax.

Plus the O2 sensor for the LC2 is showing a fault. I do intend to just use the LC2 to get it tuned and then swap it for a NB.

• Like 2

I have been struggling for months and months to get any sort of feedback from the PWM valve.

After a bit of email ping pong with Phil at Extra EFI the supplier of the ECU we discovered it was never built to run PWM’s. The instructions were throwing me a little. It stated that it had the ability to drive one. However this unit had been built to run IAC. Popped it into the post and Phil had it back in 3 days.0711129A-E61F-4915-8618-C69BABA17748.thumb.jpeg.582bc249627f75a27064d222d66c4276.jpeg

this is set up for IAC

D1005A9F-1A08-4943-8E81-D6DCBEE49405.thumb.jpeg.8c938fd878e78777a7ec15d05b72ad62.jpeg

I can now get the ECU to make the PWM open and close. It raises and drops the Revs. I can get a rock solid tickover at 800rpm and only a small drop when in gear. That was yesterday today it wants to hunt........

Does anyone on here know of any Megasquirt Guru’s In Kent or south London based.

I’m giving TunerStudio  a fair old bash and learning every day but I’d like an expert somewhere along the line...

16 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

Nige is near Haslemere in Surrey.

Today I sat and added up the receipts for insurance purposes. Xcess 4x4 namely Nigel appears as one of my main beneficiaries.....

I always feel guilty going there. I take up his valuable time and leave financially broke.

Edited by keeley75
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd not bother with closed loop idle, just use it for warmup only.

Unless you have a rock solid idle from the ve table and spark tables alone you won't get good results with closed loop anyway. There's a fair few posts and articles around the internet on how to get a stable idle, here's one:

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/other/idle-tuning-megasquirt/

I ignore closed loop idle control and use them as an extra air warm up valve with a fixed duty cycle, switching it off around 70C.

Then, I tune the idle cells to auto-correct the idle speed on load changes by making the idles cells a low spot on the table. Cells lowers in rpm have a higher advance which picks the idle up very nicely.

No stumbling, no oscillating idle speed, and save about 5 hours tuning, and even then you never get it quite right.

Cheers chaps.

It’s bogging under medium load, although I’ve improved the off idle stumble it needs some more work.

My WB sensor has gone bad so I’ll have a play when the replacement turn up.

I knew they were delicate but blimey it’s packed up on the driveway. I may take the precautions of only fitting it for tuning. Only put it in once the engine is warmed up and letting the WB heat up before turning the key.

For normal day to day I’ll find a NB to screw in. Does anyone have a suggestion which ones to go for.

I run a Spartan 2 in both my rv8 vehicles, this uses the Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor which is a bit more robust than the earlier 4.2 version.

They are both used as my dailies (the 90 is my winter car, saving the P6 for when there is no salt about) and I have only had one sensor failure between them over the years. I'd be tempted to write off your dead WB to bad luck and just fit another.

New WB turned up today. It’s  LSU 4.9 and is a direct replacement for the innovate supplied LC2 Bosch sensor.

image.thumb.jpg.a796858f93144c1132721975bf5b191f.jpg

Here is the dud one. I don’t suppose there is any chance of revival.

image.thumb.jpg.3b2de5c68ee68027d8163cb9b35c8062.jpg

Managed to calibrate and then fit. Took it for a drive and let TunerStudio make some adjustments. No more bogging under load. Very impressed at the auto tune facility and how you can actually feel the differences.....

So issues that need sorting.

When engine is warm and restarts. The revs fluctuate all over the place by 2/300 rpm until the temp raises again.

The cost of Unleaded.....

Stumble off idle need to look at the enrichment settings.

So what should I do next, and should I fix the above with the PWM removed??

oh and how does it drive...

It's possibly the quietest and smoothest 90 I’ve been in. At 30mph it whispers along with only the tyre roar and a slightly more diff noise from the HD Crown wheel and Pinion than you normally get. The LSD’s make it straighten up quick out of a corner. There are no squeaks or bangs or worrying noises. If you boot it it drops down some gears and then roars off. The hood makes hood noises. The suspension is firm and typically 90, choppy... 

I think I will do a little vid and try and capture the V8 auto experience. It’s such a relaxed drive I’m chuffed..

Edited by keeley75
  • Like 2

On 3/6/2019 at 4:50 PM, landroversforever said:

And you should be chuffed, you've done a fantastic job :D 

On 3/6/2019 at 8:34 PM, Bowie69 said:

Very good :)

On 3/6/2019 at 9:09 PM, Arjan said:

Awesome Job - just so impressive !

Gents thanks.

Plenty of head scratching went into this. The forum helped and is still helping (Megasquirt wue next)

91951D4D-5594-479C-91D1-26902A229C5F.thumb.jpeg.0201bbed137056f10a8c39d121d5c932.jpegAEAE91EF-C92F-48D1-9A1C-6AF40C3C22BD.thumb.jpeg.93eb0ce90fccbd51ad907bcb70709aa6.jpeg

• Like 1

So today was a good day. The car went for MOT and passed. The tester was a top bloke and we had a long chat.

I had to apologise as the auto tune has now affected the warm up. It’s a bit fluffy now. It played up for him mid warm up and kept konking out.  Thankfully he’s a race car nut and understood what was going on.

Second good thing. The V5 arrived with all the amendments. Phew.

Strange  though the MOT computer still shows the car as a 2.5 diesel. Obviously not updated as yet.

0E9BD017-D83E-4CBA-B38D-ED4AB280CBCA.jpeg

Edited by keeley75