Robs 90 called Billy

An awesome build and an exceptional attention to detail, I am very jealous that you have had the patience and budget to do the build to such a high standard.

only criticism is I don’t think the winch and bumper do it any favours. A low line winch tucked in a discreet bumper would suit it better

Jon

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jon W said:

An awesome build and an exceptional attention to detail, I am very jealous that you have had the patience and budget to do the build to such a high standard.

only criticism is I don’t think the winch and bumper do it any favours. A low line winch tucked in a discreet bumper would suit it better

Jon

No criticism taken.

I have been thinking about changing the springs to a lighter rate. Which means the winch will probably go into storage...

I quite like the look of the Bowler type front bumpers.

If I change the springs I don't want to end up having to add anti roll bars.

Or I could paint the winch Black. it will blend in slightly better

For now though I want to get on top of the Megasquirt tuning and just see how it is as a daily driver.

Oh and recover the seats. Upgrade the stereo rubber matting in the rear etc etc . It never ends..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I’m getting better results with the tuning. It’s pulling much better and running well. 

WUE is slowly getting there. With each cold start.

Can anyone point me in the direction on how to sort out hot starting. It starts but idles poorly when restarting. Sometimes it stalls especially  if I don’t wait until it’s settled down..

Edited by keeley75

1 hour ago, Quagmire said:

Rob, if you are using ms1 then this might help- it did on mine:

http://www.mez.co.uk/ms15-new.html

If it's MS2 then Google "coolant corrected air density" this helped massively on my other one.

Your'e awesome, thats exactly the symptoms I am suffering. I'm running MS2.

Thanks Again............

Edited by keeley75

Rob,

Just having upgraded the MS in my 90 to MS2 last week I am revisiting some of the tune settings. This evening I noticed fluctuations in AFR myself (a little lean) whilst sat in traffic. I've just looked again and the setting I used on the P6 to iron this out was the "MAT/CLT correction" curve.

Hi I have played with this and so far so good..

93803A2C-59E7-47D1-BF5C-16DC0A05455E.thumb.jpeg.2df064f7f8fe01ccff36bd1578a4de33.jpeg

my my settings are a little guessed as I’m struggling to get a reaction in time from the O2 sensor before it settles down. However I’m on track thanks to you.

What I’m  now looking into is first start of the day. It runs and conks out. Restarts and then warms up perfectly. There is a whole section in the forum about this problem.

Its a bit old and I dont appear to have the same settings in regard to cranking and pulse.

Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Edited by keeley75

Are you using regular MS2 or MS2/Extra? I don't think I have come across that particular correction curve....

As for startup, both mine start and continue to run without dying, settings as below. They are both 3.5's so may differ slightly, but hopefully not too much as MS2 uses %'s of fuel rather than absolute pw values. Note that my ASE curve looks a bit weird as it has a kink in it from where I haven't tuned it below ~20 degrees...

Screenshot_20190402-113333.thumb.jpg.9fa70343ccc0684fa81b4cb45bf655bd.jpgScreenshot_20190402-113349.thumb.jpg.3377e403a30904befc581d33b26288f8.jpg

Screenshot_20190402-113426.thumb.jpg.2ca24dce2ce0961cc7359db6fbee5acd.jpgScreenshot_20190402-113411.thumb.jpg.f9d42d720df2a4ec655f4ec7269cd3ce.jpg

I use Tunerstudio too, by far the best tool :D 

I also have MsDroid on my phone (which the screenshots were from) which is pretty handy for when I don't have my laptop with me.

Edited by Quagmire

On 4/6/2019 at 10:00 AM, Mo Murphy said:

Keeley, how are you getting on with the OME springs now that you're driving it ? Would you get the same again ?

Mo

HI. 

This is the second 90 that I have put this OME suspension setup on.

Fronts 2761

Rears 2764

I've only done about 250 miles with this vehicle and it has settled down well. Especially after putting the correct air pressure in the tyres.

I'm not sure if the isolation rubbers do much but it is a very smooth ride....

Pro's.

Gives a 2 inch Lift

Handles the weight of the Winch Bumper and lightweight aluminium engine

Corners Flat

Handles a large Ifor Trailer easily

No need for anti roll bars

No notable changes to steering geometry (self centres and steers accurately for a 90)

Gives enough room for 255 85r16 tyres

Con's

Gives a 2 inch Lift

Ride is a little choppier

Expensive (compared to OE)

Its a bit of a clamber in for short  a r s e's

IMG_2750.thumb.jpg.1464a98a238dbc1df2c32ea541d8d403.jpg

On another update. The Megasquirt tune is getting better and better. After tweaking the kick down cable. The Tunerstudio can reach a few more cells and this truck really zips about.

Cold start is getting there. I still need a few more tweaks to rid the 'First start of the day syndrome'

Hot starting is better again more tweaks required. 

These two appear to be the most difficult to get right.........

It looks like TFL do not communicate with the DVLA. I'm building up quite a collection of these.

IMG_2901.thumb.jpg.51457558030316d41b843ae7bd264e85.jpg

Our D3 is going to have to go, Sadiq does not like smokey diesels in the capital. I ain't putting a petrol lump in that.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 4:25 PM, keeley75 said:

Oh and recover the seats

I'll give you a hint, if you didn't have a bulkhead then seats out of an L322 with some minor modifications fit into a Defender. And the electrics are easy to get working.

Waaay more comfortable and proper armrests built in. Ironically give you more space too for some reason, although steering wheel is a little close if original size.

IMG_20161112_145238.thumb.jpg.3b2e1a2a933bbac4de9de7b4cd3a11ea.jpg

I have been fiddling with some minor success with the WUE, ASE Taper and ASE Percentage.

Tuner Studio has a Warm Up Enrichment auto tune feature. I did find however the suggested values after tuning very weak. My car needed a lot more fuel on the cold start than was being suggested.

The After Start Taper was set to 400 cycles. Which is why the car would die after 3ish seconds. I doubled the cycles to 800 which doubled the time the engine was running so other settings could come into play like PWM and Enrichment settings. I'm sure these can be tweaked more but for now it starts on the button settles to 950rpm and then drops nicely to 800 ish rpm. 

ASE.thumb.PNG.46e42527737016d3e4ea21d00ba8f08d.PNG

Someone with far more knowledge than I on this forum had explained that all of these settings are like layers. After a while these things start to make a bit more sense. I'm sure that there is more fine tuning and the next proper cold snap will require me to fiddle some more.

These settings have affected the PWM and I had to drop the Idle Duty down a couple of percent to drop the revs.

Again the changes have affected the Fuel Table slightly  and a retune via Tune studio has  sorted out some of the lower cells.

The only bit left to suss is the MAT heat soak, although better. It fluctuates after a hot start for 3-4 seconds it used to do it for 10-15 so these settings have helped.

MAT.PNG.1361a9615ae8cb10e134897811c4373e.PNG

Tuning wise, It's costing me a fortune. Empty bits of road and WOT tuning really makes a dent in the fuel gauge...……...

One thing I have noticed. A drumming noise comes from the engine bay. I thought the worst and thankfully have tracked it down to the fuel regulator. It Pulsates in operation. The use of braided hoses prob hasn't helped. Does anyone know if this is normal behaviour do they all make noise ?

On 4/7/2019 at 10:03 PM, Ed Poore said:

I'll give you a hint, if you didn't have a bulkhead then seats out of an L322 with some minor modifications fit into a Defender. And the electrics are easy to get working.

Waaay more comfortable and proper armrests built in. Ironically give you more space too for some reason, although steering wheel is a little close if original size.

IMG_20161112_145238.thumb.jpg.3b2e1a2a933bbac4de9de7b4cd3a11ea.jpg

The seats have to be comfy. L322's spend a lot of time on their bump stops...…..

I can say that as an owner of several more modern Land Rover products...…………..

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on gearing and Speedo. 

The speedo was indicating 50mph when the gps was showing a true reading of 46. This is, I believe within the 10% margin of error. But we can do better than that..

I got a Healtech Speedo healer. The version I found has a loom supplied. It’s simple to fit.

All you do is fit the new loom between the transducer mounted on the transfer box and the transducer plug. It’s plug and play.

C27739F1-8A81-48BB-9B2D-88AEB871BF96.thumb.jpeg.b218ca434649ef6fa64e4bb7fe3a04a2.jpeg

To set it up you need to know what the true speed is and what the displayed speed is.

You download the App and enter your findings

31BC82B5-FEB7-4040-88C6-CDD1B0F32721.thumb.jpeg.c28b8d2d613d52a05bbd7364326a20e4.jpeg

Hit the generate button and follow the instructions to programme. 

3859963F-6CA1-4D41-954B-E527F01281B2.thumb.png.6a2d776a278b08e7a6608c83371ffd09.png

Results are spot on.

if you change tyre size or transfer box or like I did Pinion and Crown Wheel then this is simples.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

2000 Miles and a bit have passed and so far so good.

The vehicle has been great fun and turns heads. I thought I'd better pick up where I left off... Almost a year ago...

Mechanically the car has been excellent. The Vehicle did however develop a clunk every time you came to a stop or pulled away. Its a typical A frame ball joint noise. However after looking everywhere and wiggling everything. I found out one of the chassis to radius arm bushes had failed badly. (Not sure if they were Blue Part). A couple of hours had them all replaced and the clonk had gone.

Now I had mentioned on here how poor the stereo was. Driving with a Soft top meant It couldn't be heard.

I fitted a set of JBL GTO 529's in each corner. The fronts needed a speaker spacer otherwise you end up hacking most of the lower dash away to fit them.

IMG_2749.jpg.8e18e4feb62dce4c1b17f939658d83d5.jpg

Sound wise they are excellent and reasonable value for money if you can get an online discount.

IMG_3137.jpg.f5a25ae2632baec40a60b873da2f71fc.jpg

Behind the Passenger seat I found space to fit a matching Slimline JBL  BassPro SL unit and the system now sounds excellent.

IMG_2994.jpg.fffb087b8eb3dffd045be712227b56cc.jpg

A bit over the top for some but great sound even with the roof off. Its fixed in place and pinned to the bulkhead by the passenger seat.

The Speaker system ended up with a Stereo Upgrade. The standard Land Rover stereo although functional didn't do a lot.........

I toyed with mechanical screens and such like and ended up fitting an Alpine Car Play unit ilx-f903d Its excellent. It has everything imaginable and I can even mirror Memory Map from my phone to the screen when off roading. (When I get brave enough to face Mud)

IMG_3144.jpg.585b41f96effa91eac229943d7e4748c.jpgIMG_3139.jpg.21e3e176caa3721bc1050f51d6f59506.jpg

Buttons remain accessible and the unit doesn't stick out that much.

Compared to motorised screens there is no movement in the screen or dash so no wobble when driving....

1000 mile mark saw and oil change. Engine oil and filters were easy enough.

The Diffs had been completely stripped blasted, Zinc'd welded new internals etc etc.....

IMG_3218.jpg.f7cc5b23ed8516ff7b7036b1abcae728.jpg

I'd fitted Nigel's Super magnetic plugs and they were doing their job well..... I will change the EP90 again this month and keep an eye on the muck....