Cheap-ish welding helmet recommendations?

FridgeFreezer

I have the R-tech helmet. It does work, but I am ultra sensitive for arc eye, always have been. And the result is that even on the darkest setting, I am suffering from arc eye. I don't know if it is the setting not going dark enough, or whether the starting up arc is already causing harm. I now use a helmet with a flip up glass with the darkest glass ( I think it is a 15).  This is the only way I can weld without arc eye.

Daan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi fridgefreezer 

You probably already sorted but lidl are selling auto darkening helmets certainly in Scotland at the moment for £23 I tend to buy only woodworking gear off them but what I have seems solid enough if you still need one let me know as I could pick one up and post it if required

Stephen

• 3 years later...

My 15 year old Harbor Freight Auto-darkening welding helmet needs replaced. It isn't switching on properly and drops out while welding.  I want to protect my eyes better.  What's your recommendation for a good helmet at a reasonable cost? tig vs mig welding

Edited by saxere74