Can I replace MUC8950 (ss to aft710090) with the tub on?

reb78

Looking at the pics on YRMs site for the alloy version the tub is still on the chassis as they offer up the new part. Never had a 110  wagon in bits, only a pickup so can’t offer any more help. 

Galv one won’t rot the same but may create some galvanic corrosion unless suitably isolated. Aluminium one as per OE  has lasted well if that’s its original support.  

Personally I’d stick the aluminium one on. 

1 hour ago, Scotts90 said:

Looking at the pics on YRMs site for the alloy version the tub is still on the chassis as they offer up the new part. Never had a 110  wagon in bits, only a pickup so can’t offer any more help. 

Galv one won’t rot the same but may create some galvanic corrosion unless suitably isolated. Aluminium one as per OE  has lasted well if that’s its original support.  

Personally I’d stick the aluminium one on. 

The weird thing is it looks like rusty steel but we’ve has the 110 since it was about 3 years old and I dont think thats ever been replaced! The one just forward of it has been done previously. 

I have a length of galvanised box section that might do the job but i was concerned about the galvanic corrosion too.  

17 minutes ago, western said:

I have the same part to replace in 2019, got the under seat upstand to change to, there is a post on here that shows changing that crossmember

Our two are the same age so will likely need similar things - although my chassis is ok at the moment. 

I will take a look for that post. 

Ordered the ali version for this. Depending on where I look it seems to attach in different places. The current one appears to be bolted to the chassis and rivetted to the floor. The YRM workshop one appears to bolt to the brackets on the C pillar and be rivetted to the floor - thats what I will do as there is less opportunity for disimilar metal corrosion this way. If its obvious it should bolt to the blocks in the chassis rails i have some thick rubber sheeting i can use so the two metals arent aitting on each other. 

I bought the Galvanised floor support box section & a full upstand, I was looking at the YRM workshop 'how to' earlier, wonder which of us will get it fitted first. 

on the other post link above I've had these parts since 23 Sept 2016 maybe I should get it fitted.

I was being cheap! At some point i am sure I will need to chamge the chassis and bits like this can be upgraded properly then. Gonna need to do mine this week really as it needs its MOT and I dont think it will pass with the current bit on it. 

• Like 1

Ive heard the easy way is cut it in half and fit it in then weld it back together.  :)

DOnt know if you'd get it in with the rear footwell floor removed.... it would have to be half removed anyway to remove/lift the tub.  I have changed both that x members but the tub was off anyway.  Which wasn't that bad.  unbolted and removed the rear door and rear side panels, just lifted the roof a few mm to get the panels out...then tub off.  

I think, with a bit of jiggling, it will pull out from the side if wiggled forwards a bit and the small triangular section of body is removed that is rivetted to the c pillar. Thats my hope. 

Do you remember what it attaches to?

Edited by reb78

I replaced all mine when I rebuilt the 110 but I did it with the tub removed , only other problem I can see you running into is the 2nd row seat belt mounts bolt through one of those supports , can't remember if it's that one or the next one back . Mine's a 200tdi and they were rusted to bugger think they either broke or I had to cut them off , and they were expensive to replace if I remember correctly .