Voltage at Stop Solenoid - Engine won't switch off

26 minutes ago, Puffernutter said:

To be fair, I didn't hide it and the new owner was fully aware of the problem when I sold it!

Peter

I think you have to buy any Land Rover knowing full well you are buying a 3D puzzel you can sit in and will probably never completely solve!:lol:

Not done anything today in terms of problem solving. I have removed the engine wiring loom to take measurements and notes to allow me to source all of the parts to make my own new one as a warm up for a complete re-wire.

The insulation and tape on the original loom are in bad shape with bits spliced in from previous owners in none standard coloured wires. I will use standard colour scheme.

On 1/4/2019 at 6:11 PM, monkie said:

The insulation and tape on the original loom are in bad shape with bits spliced in from previous owners in none standard coloured wires. I will use standard colour scheme.

Nothing like giving yourself a hard time.... The electricity doesn't care what colour the insulation is  :)  

49 minutes ago, EeEk said:

Nothing like giving yourself a hard time.... The electricity doesn't care what colour the insulation is  :)  

True, but it makes later fault finding a nightmare if the circuit diagram is describing a wire that is green and blue and you can't remember what colour wires went where or worse still they are all the same colour!

• Like 1

A quick update;  I removed the engine wiring harness at the weekend and I have ordered the parts to make my own (£40 rather than £75), so I'll see how I get on as a practice for a full re-wire at some point this year!

I have also had a dig around the wiring behind the dash panel and I have found the resistor (encapsulated in a white plastic holder) between a brown/yellow wire and a white wire (as per the circuit diagram. (see pic) I have measure 93 Ohms on this resistor - can anyone confirm if this is a correct reading or has it failed? I can't see anything printed on the side of this resistor to tell me what it should be.

I also found what looks to me like a diode not connected to anything and was hanging off a black wire (presumed to be an earth) see other picture. Any ideas what this is for as I can't locate it on the circuit diagram. It says "PEKTRON A75-294" printed on the side. *EDIT* Not connected to the same cicuit, so this isn't the diode as fitted to 200Tdi and later Defenders.

Also I have been sent a few diodes in the post from Puffernutter - a very big thank you for those.

20190107_120940.jpg

20190107_120947.jpg

2 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

That PEKTRON component has the diode symbol on the side of it, one may suggest that it is a diode ;):) 

Glad we are in agreement :)

Any ideas what it should be conected to? It was just hanging there off a black wire on the opposite side of the dash to the brown/yellow ignition light circuit.

5 minutes ago, monkie said:

Glad we are in agreement :)

Any ideas what it should be conected to? It was just hanging there off a black wire on the opposite side of the dash to the brown/yellow ignition light circuit.

Found it on the diagram. A black wire with a slate trace is hard to spot, just looked black to me! Its part of the wiring for the heated rear window from the relay:

20190107_124820.jpg

A Google search has suggested that it may be 5W 100 Ohm metal film resistor. I measured 92.4 Ohm to be exact. No idea if this is near enough or if it is not working as it should be.

An update. I have solved the problem and fitted a new engine wiring loom that I made.

The issue was with the resistor. With the resistor in place the engine continues to run with the key removed. With the resistor removed the engine stops. I can only assume the resistor is allowing too much flow back into the stop solenoid circuit from the alternator keeping the solenoid open. I have not sourced a new resistor of the correct type (I understand it to be a 5W 100 Ohm metal film resistor), but instead I have replaced the resistor with a diode. (Many thanks to both Western and Puffernutter for kindly posting me some diodes).

Secondly the engine wiring loom was in bad condition. I purchased new wires of correct colour code, tape, terminals and wrap from Autosparks. I am pleased with the result which cost me half of the price for an off the shelf item.

Thank you to all who gave input to this thread and help in getting this frustrating problem sorted out, once again proving what a great forum this is.

Here is my DIY wiring loom I made (I cut the terminal block off the old loom and soldered it onto the new one after this picture was taken)

20190111_225600.jpg

Crikey that was a quick loom build, although there isn't many wires in the engine loom, only reason mine got replaced during the engine build is because it was 20 odd years old & lots of cracked insulation due to the heat from engine.  

Done a neat job keeping it looking stock.

Thank you. There weren't that many wires in the engine loom. The time consuming part was taking measurements from the old loom without getting filthy. My original one also had a lot of cracked insulation, worn out terminals and odd bits spliced in, so I thought it was time for a new one, it made it to 30 years though.

• Like 1

This is the odd thing, I thought exactly that but it does seem to work. I think there is more none sense in the main loom. But I do want to try and source the correct resistor but I haven't found one yet.

My engine starts and stops when it should and everything else appears to be working fine.

Following my last post on this and from a few other pointer, I solved it by replacing the solonoid with a genuine Bosch part. Don’t know why it works but the “stray” voltage of 2-3v doesn’t seem to be enough to hold open. Whether it means the solenoid is breaking down I don’t know, but glad it sorted. Hope you get it sorted soon 😊