World War Willys Jeep - from 1990 - Body mounted.

Yippee !  You said you were wanting a new project in my thread and I’m delighted you have 😊

I saw you’d uploaded the pictures to your gallery, and clicked your name on here to pm you and it said your status was ‘creating topic in modified build forum’ - I was beside myself.

Interesting project Daan. I have encountered two Mahindras in my time, both of which were just a couple of years old. One was body rusting at an alarming rate. The other's front axle fell apart. Now I think about it, I am talking over 25 years ago. How old is your new purchase?
If you are replacing the body shell I guess the rust isn't an issue for you.

9 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

Riveted construction is interesting! Probably more reliable than welding in a low skill environment. 

When it went on the LR Experience tour a few years back they explained how much the RRS et al are now riveted construction. It saves them on huge energy bills vs spot welding.

The riveted joints also help with designed in flex ( twist ) when off road , similar to HGV 's , also higher quality (carbon)  steel can be used as there is no HAZ from welding , leading to lighter construction making for the light tough design of the original Willys .

Great project Daan , it will be an interesting daily drive when done , I'll be following this - thanks for posting it up .

cheers

Steve b

22 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I am looking forward to this...

Dana 44 or similar axles aren't they?

I played with a couple of Rocstas in my time, good fun, but similar problems to the Mahindra... And twiglets for axles.

The front axle is a Dana 27 or 25, not sure which one it is, the rear is a dana 44. The rear axle would benefit from a floater kit though.

7 hours ago, JohnnoK said:

I don't know how compatible they will be with your Mahindra, but this crowd do replica bits..

https://www.mdjuan.com.ph

These are the manufacturers of the bodys, They make chassis, bodies, and just about any other parts for the willys, except drivetran and axles. Parts are very cheap actually, but the quality varies.

6 hours ago, mickeyw said:

Interesting project Daan. I have encountered two Mahindras in my time, both of which were just a couple of years old. One was body rusting at an alarming rate. The other's front axle fell apart. Now I think about it, I am talking over 25 years ago. How old is your new purchase?
If you are replacing the body shell I guess the rust isn't an issue for you.

When it went on the LR Experience tour a few years back they explained how much the RRS et al are now riveted construction. It saves them on huge energy bills vs spot welding.

Indeed the body needed very little persuation to come off, and is now mostly in the scrap bin. Chassis is much better, as it is hidden unde rthe car and a Uchannel, so no trapped water in it like a landrover.

The MDJuan stuff is made out galvanized steel I believe, so that should improve things. The age of my Mahindra is in the tittle....

Not sure of the axles, I will rebuild them with good quality seals and bearings.

2 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Is that what you get when you drive it more than half an hour, HOG?

😎.

Thanks for the replies chaps. Time will be my limiting factor, so bear with me.

Daan

I've always wanted to revert a Mahindra to Willys pre hurricane engine style bonnet.

Good luck with the project, not tempted by a stainless steel body from the Philippines?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Somehow I missed this thread.  It looks a great project.  I'm glad to see you taking it to bare bits and doing it from the ground up, though - I'm familiar with the workmanship and quite interested to see what you find.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a mix between a MB and a M38A1... Kinda CJ2 from the fifties.

I saw a lot of the original ones last week in Normandy: Willys MA & MB, Ford GPW and GPA (amfibious), and quite some  pre production variants (slat grill etc.)..

• 2 months later...

Have to love a rammed to the hilt garage to work on projects!

I remember someone dropping a 200tdi off at my garage once to replace the 19J..unfortuately it was at the door and the Landy was nose in...no room to get the engine down the side!

trolley jacks and alot of swearing got it to the front end where it was needed 😁

look forward to the work being done Daan 👍