World War Willys Jeep - from 1990 - Body mounted.

20 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Looks like a result,.... just looking at that photo with the front chassis,... is that cracked to the right of the mount??

No, just been scraping paint off. The chassis is structurally very good actually.

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

What’s the story with the steering wheel ? The wheel and the column looks much more modern than 50’s .. ? 

It is a Toyota steering wheel and column. This was included in the sale, together with a toyota steering box. It is the horendous box in front of grille arrangement, and is, together with the steering wheel, going to the only right place for it; the scrap bin.

I have a plan for the new steering wheel.

20 minutes ago, Maverik said:

That's cheating ;) - getting a body pre prepared, all the grief, torment and cost go into that part of the project - you've basically side stepped the most boring bit :D (very good find! :wub:)

Mav

That's waiting for the right deal to come along! I reckon I took a year build time and several thousands out of the budget by buying this.

• Like 2

It’s a massive result !   You’ll leap from rolling chassis to nearly done now I would think. 

Can’t wait to hear the wheel plan....

Are you going for the kind of approach I did - sort of useable but needs an eye with some knowledge to pick out what’s modern? 

• Like 1

I am aiming for a jeep that looks cool and is nice to drive, and can keep up with traffic on a motorway basically. The end result won't get any of the rivet counter crowd excited, but i specifically did not cut up any original WW2 parts, as it is just not the right thing to do. As you can see, there is so much other stuff you can use and achieve almost the same result. It also can be very cheap this way if you play your cards right. I have spent 2k so far and I have all the parts to build a working car.

The boys are trying it for size:

large.IMG_8164.JPG.96ae735a36d37feb32bff370d4517a7a.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

How does that weight compare to the original? and any idea on the final all-up weight? 

The indenor 2.1 engine originally found in the Mahindra is 184 kg according the manual. But With the adapter plate and heavy steering box, i'd say the end result won't be much different.

According to the specs a mahindra jeep weighs 1200kg.

If the front springs don't compress enough, I might have to weigh it down with a PTO winch!

Daan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger110 said:

It’s looking much roomier in there since the last pic I saw

What’s the plan for the chassis, clean  and galv or paint or go with the original patina effect 😁

Only because I parked the land rover outside!

Chassis is planned to get blasted, zinc sprayed and painted green. The logistics are easier to do it after the mods are done and fully welded. All in good time....

• Like 1