Defender 300tdi auto conversion

Hi all , I'm rebuilding a 300tdi 90 and fitting a disco auto gearbox and I'm after a bit of help .

Firstly what's this for it's on top of the auto box 

SAM_1749.JPG.6590abbc008512ed932958ee50a26213.JPG

And secondly am I correct in thinking that this is the kick down cable ,

SAM_1748.JPG.a5c1cd8b020ab1a9e52bb85afd2fe423.JPG

SAM_1747.JPG.155d4d943b791d921229bd92cb2f7669.JPG

if so can I use it in the conversion as it's a Disco one or do I still need to buy the one's from Ashcroft's ?

cheers Ian 

Have to pass on the electrical connection but the cable looks like the kickdown (however if memory serves me right it looks different to the Ashcroft Defender set-up).

I used the Ashcroft kit on my 300TDi.

MISC 2.JPG

MISC 5.JPG

DSCF0019.JPG

DSCF0040.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

Cheers Litch , there’s no actual wiring inside the box it’s just like a peg through the bell housing  , so could it be an earthing point ? I remembered your thread about the conversion but last time I looked there were no photos because of photo bucket , looks a very smart truck  :i-m_so_happy:. So that is the kick down cable , the bracket is a genuine Disco one so just need to find others who’ve done the conversion and find out if they’ve used one . The FIP pumps are the same so can’t see any reason why the Discovery bracket wouldn’t work . Have you got any photos of the FIP pump Litch so I can see how the kick down bracket fits on the pump please .

cheers Ian 

Now I have worked out where the sensor is located on the bellhousing I can confirm that mine is just fitted with a small blanking plate.

Below are some photos showing how the kickdown cable connects to the pump.

DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0010.JPG

DSCF0012.JPG

yes its the crank sensor....no use if you have a non edc pump.  

Just put a 300tdi/auto from a disco in to a defender but no fancy ashcroft kit here.   :)

I did copy the kickdown brackets from another one I have as I thought the ashcroft ones were a bit much for 2 bits of metal with some holes in.  

The pics there are more of the accelerator cable.

The disco cable will be fine....the brackets to connect it to the pump ....youv1e discovered them :)

Edited by EeEk

The one with the 4 holes fits to the top of the throttle lever on the pump....its a rough copy of a proper bracket.  2mm steel cut out with a plasma cutter and bent in a vice.

The other is just bits of brackets...the original bracket bolts on to the rear of the pump...i didn't want to disturb the bolts in case of leaks so my bracket fits on to the pump mounting bolt.

I`ll get you some pics of the genuine brackets and my home made ones fitted tomorrow so you can see the setup. 

DSC_0070.JPG

DSC_0072.JPG

DSC_0074.JPG

Hi ian.

This is my take on it. 

I used the original part but flipped it and put a pair og small tubes (approx 20 mm) between the airconboltholes and the bracket. Connected the arm to the bolt connecting the speedercable to the pump and voila. 😀

I have used this setup a couple of times and runned it for 8 in this car. Please ignore the disconnected kickdowncable, it seized last week...  

/mads

20190104_071442.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry, didn't realise I had posted a photo showing the lights!

Yes, Le Perei LED, fitted them about 6-years ago to replace the full set of eight Le Perei filament NAS type lights that I fitted back in 2000. The LED's are very good, people can certainly see you and the power of the reversing lights on a dark wet night is to behold.

Used to have the filament type the front as well and really liked the look (plus the lights are very effective) but had a makeover a couple of years ago and went to standard type LED's.

DSCF0002_LI.jpg

Edited by Litch

Cheers toendon will look into that  .  That’s quite alright cackshifter , I was thinking exactly the same thing . Had a look on eBay more expensive than the run of the mill ones, but if there as good as Litch says then they’d be worth it.

Cheers all for the info it's much apricated ,  been tidying the box up today and have a few more questions .

Firstly should the bolt be in the end of this shaft that goes into the transfer box ?

SAM_1763.JPG.b3ffcc578f24343d1e31bfc415f8e9f4.JPG

And is the black bit a seal and is it advisable to replace it ?

Secondly am I correct in thinking that the brown seal in the next photo is the torque converter seal ?

SAM_1764.JPG.9d414cc2b9852f3f61ff1e363569f9e3.JPG

And do any of you kind gents have part numbers for these seals ?

cheers Ian

1 hour ago, ianmayco68 said:

Firstly should the bolt be in the end of this shaft that goes into the transfer box ?

Yes, it holds on a coupling shaft to the true output shaft of the gearbox. You can remove it if you want, and slip the coupling shaft off for a looksie :)

This is it: https://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/diy-rebuild-kits/zf-rebuild-kits/ftc5090.html

As it says, if you want to fit a longer-splined cross-drilled LT230 input gear, this needs replacing as well :)

Though doing a double-check, yours looks like the longer revised version anyways... happy days.

I’m so glad I asked that question, don’t remember seeing that bolt on my stumpy when it came from Ashcrofts for the 110 , so I need one of those shafts as my transfer box has a cross drilled input gear . Is it just a case of undoing that bolt pulling the shaft out pushing the new one in then replacing the bolt Bowie ? Is that a seal there do you know ? As there’s only one listed on the Ashcrofts website .

cheers Ian