Defender 300tdi auto conversion

I'm looking at the shaft you have, and I reckon it is already the one with longer splines, so I don't *think* you have anything to do.

These couplers are only fitted to the autoboxes hence why not on the stumpy.

As a matter of interest, what are you doing about the autobox oil-cooler?

The Ashcroft kit comes with the standard oil-cooler but a length of flexible hose & fixings. I wasn't keen on this set-up so instead decided to use standard Disco pipes but modified where they cross the front crossmember, the end result being very acceptable to my eyes.

I did briefly look at using a Wolf oil-cooler which is mounted on the slam-panel diagonal supports but didn't get any further than idle doodling some sketches, I still like the idea but have yet to look into suitability, pipe connections and whether mounting the cooler that bit higher will work.

DSCF0006.JPG

The box came out of a running disco , the chap I brought it from rebuilds Land Rovers for a living and wanted the disco for the engine only to put in a ROW spec 110 he was rebuilding and he very kindly included all the bits in the sale . So I have the original disco oil cooler with the genuine pipes but I think I remember reading somewhere that the disc pipes are too long , but I may be getting mixed up , and the other problem I have is the oil cooler fins are corroded so needs replacing . I have been looking at aftermarket ones on eBay as there about £90 for a cooler and pipes , so haven’t made a definite plan yet . The box is going in a 90 I’m rebuilding and I’m just starting to put the engine and gearboxes in .

If you mount the cooler where I have mounted mine then yes the standard Disco pipes are too long but I preferred to start with them as that way I know that fitting them into the autobox and running them forward was going to be exactly the same as on a Disco.

The flexi pipes need to be shortened and one of the solid pipes "adjusted" under the cooler (if you look at my photo you can see where the NS solid pipe has been sleeved in two places).

I notice that the Ashcroft kits use rubber hose and barbed fittings , was going to look if I could somehow use the solid pipes of the factory ones but fit new rubber hose . Am I correct in thinking that the system isn’t that high pressure, ?  Due to the kits using barb fittings .

I don't believe it is high pressure. If you look at my photo you can see the hose-clip jointing the (shortened) flexi to the coupling.

The flexible hose & fixings supplied by Ashcroft were very high quality, I was surprised at the amount of refund I received when I took them back.

The only other item I didn't use was the foot-rest, I decided that I liked the additional space to move my left foot on a long journey, I did however fit the larger brake-pedal, not because I really need it but because it just looks right (vanity I suppose).

I think someone told me that the large brake pedal was needed for the mot as it was an auto , but again I might be mixing it up with something else . So do you think it would be ok if I cut the existing rubber pipe off then pushed tight fitting rubber hose on then secured it with p clips ot could clamps ?

I used disco pipes same as Litch, cut them and joined at the flex bit with hose clips....theres no great pressure in it.  

Theres no reason a normal manual brake pedal wont pass the Mot test.   I have a rangerover converted to auto I use for offroading....it passes with a normal pedal,  still has the clutch pedal fitted too just in case I go back to manual :)

• 2 months later...

Hi all back again with a few more questions , I’m getting to the stage where I’ll be fitting the engine to the gearbox. So am I correct in thinking that the TC needs to fit 2mmish further inside the bell housing than the flywheel protrudes the backing plate ? 

Should I put some ATF in the TC before fitting? I’m guessing yes to that one.

And on the bottom of the backing plate there’s an access hole shaped like an egr plate , what’s it there for ? The plate on mine was missing so I’ve made a new one , the 1 bolt is m8 but would anyone know the size of the other or a part number ? It’s larger than m12 and I’ve got nothing of that size to try . 

Cheers Ian 

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/28/2021 at 6:29 PM, Chuck99999 said:

I'm using a discovery 1 and my kick back plate has completely corroded and is in non-usable state, if your not using DISCO kickback plate can I buy it pls advise

@ianmayco68 I was reading older posts that I missed and saw this one.

BTW how is your M57 installation going?