I drove to the UK to change a transfer box in a front garden

elbekko

You niggle secret is safe with me. :ph34r::hysterical: I have to admit it wasn't quite how I planned to spent new years eve (Though it was better than tiling my barhroom). One of the things I love about the land rover fraternity is the can do attitude and willing help from strangers and friends. I have been on the receiving end in the past and was glad to be able to give some back to the cause. Long may your daft trips to the UK continue and just be careful I have been known to venture across the channel.:im-ok-smiley-emoticon:

Mike

8 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Long may your daft trips to the UK continue and just be careful I have been known to venture across the channel.:im-ok-smiley-emoticon:

Always welcome ;) And there has been a mild hatching of plans to get you guys over for an  off-road event at some point, there's a nice site in northern France that might be a fun club/forum outing.

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

The way things are going a complete spare p38 stored in the south of England might be a good idea. :stirthepot:

It's not the worst idea...

This is how it works with true LR people..

I have been helped many times in the deep dark night on the side of the road and try to give it back, too..

Well done guys !

Yes.... It is us bl..dy foreigners taking away lots of things....

Don't get me started on the Franch who buy all the nice Renault 4 & 2CV's in Holland....

The one I was thinking about was Marquenterre: http://www.faire-du-4x4.fr/le-centre-4x4-domaine-du-marquenterre.html

It's a sandy site, 110km from Calais. Very pretty, and some challenging bits. There's camping on site, and houses to rent available for who wants too.

There are a few others, but a bit further away for you guys.

4 hours ago, elbekko said:

The one I was thinking about was Marquenterre: http://www.faire-du-4x4.fr/le-centre-4x4-domaine-du-marquenterre.html

It's a sandy site, 110km from Calais. Very pretty, and some challenging bits. There's camping on site, and houses to rent available for who wants too.

There are a few others, but a bit further away for you guys.

No good, that website's all in foreign! :(

15 hours ago, miketomcat said:

The way things are going a complete spare p38 stored in the south of England might be a good idea. :stirthepot:

Mike

I know someone with two in the SE. Not sure if he'd have parted with the transfer boxes, maybe by buying the whole car... 

10 hours ago, Arjan said:

Don't get me started on the Franch who buy all the nice Renault 4

I also know someone in the SE buying up the Renault 4s in the UK...

11 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Funny enough I was wondering about events abroad for a bit of a change / club outing - let us know!

Have a very useful friend north of Paris. Mind you he is a little bonkers but is very much into offroading, the 44" tyres he has for his old Land Cruiser on DIY portals are the "small" set. There's a special set for Scottish peat bogs :ph34r:.

17 hours ago, miketomcat said:

All you need is some gullible idiot with plenty of garden space who will fall for the 'just for a few weeks' ploy...

Aah... No... Hang on! <grabs coat> <runs> :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Big thanks from me to everyone who helped out as well! If any of you ever need any help over here, the Workshop is at your disposal. Despite the stress and work, we had a real good time celebrating on new years eve and enjoyed the company at Brooklands.

On 1/3/2019 at 12:28 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

Oh and thanks for filling the Jag up too :)

That was the least we could do! I actually enjoyed driving it, and seriously considered getting one as a sensible daily drive. Looked in the classifieds, found a few interesting ones. Quite cheap in UK! In Belgium you find nothing but the 2.0 diesel anyway, and I want the 2.5 or 3.0 V6 petrol. Then looked at taxes and decided it wasn't sensible at all... 😞

@Ed Poore do you have any more info on the P38s for spares? I'm about to take a '99 4.6 apart for spares, even though it's in far too good a shape to do so. So an alternative might be interesting. Or we could just buy it and leave it over there in *someone's* garden just in case we come over to play again.

Filip

17 minutes ago, Escape said:

@Ed Poore do you have any more info on the P38s for spares? I'm about to take a '99 4.6 apart for spares, even though it's in far too good a shape to do so. So an alternative might be interesting. Or we could just buy it and leave it over there in *someone's* garden just in case we come over to play again.

There's two, one which is up for sale. Probably asking way too much for a spares vehicle however it's been kitted out for offroad / camping use (acts as a guide in the UK for predominantly French and Belgium groups coming over). Been well maintained as well, 2.5 BMW 6 cylinder manual with a chipped ECU.

[edit]It's a T plate so 99 again[/edit]