Sign in to follow this  
bongo321

intake manifold thread size

Hi does anyone know the thread size in the intake manifold at the rear on a defender 300tdi . To take a boost gauge feed . 

Hi,

I did this exact addition myself a few years ago.  I bought, I can't remember where from, perhaps ebay, a banjo fitting with a bayonet connection, see photo.  I've just measured it and it's a 12x1.5 metric fitting.  HTH.

DSCN1176.thumb.JPG.62695d6fff8ab239d53608cc8c76d34b.JPG

Mike

Thank for that , fantastic . Now i know i can get on . 

Couldn't tell you the threads, I just found something that fitted....but.....while your at it....

What you should do is plumb the waste gate to that connection and plug the port at the turbo....that gives you 1 bar of boost at that end of the inlet manifold before the waste gate opens rather than 1 bar at the turbo :) 

Posted (edited)

Agreed.  I've also done that.  But I believe that the waste gate starts opening at about 9 - 10 psi boost, and is fully open at 15psi.  I haven't worked out yet how to delay the opening of the waste gate without raising the final boost pressure.  Perhaps a grown up can cover that mod.

Mike

Edited by Troll Hunter
Additional comment inserted.

Posted (edited)

Heard about this but wasn't to sure about it  , So you would advise doing it .  , the Plenum thread is as Troll Hunter said 12x1.5 .

Edited by bongo321

20 hours ago, bongo321 said:

Heard about this but wasn't to sure about it  , So you would advise doing it .  , the Plenum thread is as Troll Hunter said 12x1.5 .

Dont know if it makes a difference....the theory suggests it would.  I did it and a few fuel pump tweeks to my last 300tdi before I put it on the road so dont know what it would have been like before I fiddled with it ....maybe better :)

21 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

Agreed.  I've also done that.  But I believe that the waste gate starts opening at about 9 - 10 psi boost, and is fully open at 15psi.  I haven't worked out yet how to delay the opening of the waste gate without raising the final boost pressure.  Perhaps a grown up can cover that mod

Dont know about that.  I had a boost gauge and it went straight to just over 1bar no bother.  But again I suppose if the waste gate didnt start to move until 1bar you;d have a few seconds more of full pressure.  

I do have a turbosmart boost controller that I never fitted to the last one....I'll have to dig it out once I get this 300tdi on the road :)

Wasn't there some issue of the turbo running away ?? . it was some danger of something going pop .