paime

Oil in my intake

I have myself a TD5 with 120k miles on the clock and i think i need to do something about the Turbo. There's a slight bit of play in the main bearing but the bigger concern is the amount of oil that exists on it, around it and in the inlet pipework. My intercooler has sagged from the amount of oil that's currently sitting in it and most of the intake pipes have a heavy internal coating of oil. I'm going to brave the costs of a reconditioned turbo, new pipework and an intercooler soon but is there anything else i should be looking at? Am i in imminent danger of a catastrophe??

You could end up ingesting the oil into the engine, which will do one of two things (or maybe more). 

A runaway condition where you can't stop the engine by turning the key off, as it is being fuelled by the oil. Unless you can stall it, this normally results in the engine destroying itself by over-revving. 

The engine ingests the oil in such a quantity that it hydrolocks the engine in a similar way to driving into water without a sealed, raised intake. This will bend rods and cause all sorts of other damage.

Either way I would certainly NOT be driving it at the moment.

A new cartridge is not that expensive: 

https://bearmach.com/turbo-cartridge-2-5-td5-pmf10046c

You may want to service other items such as the oil feed and return lines.

That is of course, it is the turbo, and the oil is not coming from anywhere else.

Hope that helps! 

Being 100% honest with myself (and you) the problem has been in existence for a couple of years now but adding up the cost of all the bits terrifies me. Turbo+intercooler+intake pipework will probably cost me nearly £500 and Mrs Paime will not like that.... Nevertheless, i think i'll have to bite the bullet and start with the cartridge then do the intercooler and pipes before finishing off with cleaning the intake manifold.

Should there be any oil in the intake pipework after the cartridge has been replaced?

There will be only a misting of oil in normal operation.

Unless the intercooler is damaged, there's no reason to replace it just because it has oil in it, just wash out with petrol/some other solvent and allow to dry *THOROUGHLY* and refit.

the intercooler wont have sagged due to oil

they sag due to age & boost pressure

oil quantity sounds normal for a td5 due to the plumbing of the crank case breather

Posted (edited)

Here's a couple of pics showing the state of the intercooler:

Seems like a quite a lot of oil but i guess it's been building up for a while now.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by paime

Oh, so it is leaking in some way as well then..... :(  

Time to pull things off to see what is actually wrong.

I reckon the intercooler is pretty much beyond economic repair but it's also the quantity of oil that has me worried. I'd rather replace the right bits and the right time than do it all, miss the underlying problem and then coat my new shiny bits in some more oil. Is there an oil drain on the TD5 turbos which goes back to the sump?

9 minutes ago, paime said:

I reckon the intercooler is pretty much beyond economic repair but it's also the quantity of oil that has me worried. I'd rather replace the right bits and the right time than do it all, miss the underlying problem and then coat my new shiny bits in some more oil. Is there an oil drain on the TD5 turbos which goes back to the sump?

the oil drain is out the bottom of the turbo & back into the sump

the intercooler in your picture is the normal outcome of wear & tear, the oily residue around the corner is due to the plastic end tanks starting to separate from the core,

8 minutes ago, RedLineMike said:

the oil drain is out the bottom of the turbo & back into the sump

the intercooler in your picture is the normal outcome of wear & tear, the oily residue around the corner is due to the plastic end tanks starting to separate from the core,

That's made me feel a bit better about the whole thing, cheers. Looks like i've got not option but to replace a few things and get myself a new cartridge. Better practice my best puppy dog eyes for the missus now....

As Mike said, if the intercooler truly isn't full of oil, then the residue in there may be normal, and you may not need to replace the turbo.

A pic would help for sure.

Don't know if it is the case with the TD5 but Land Rover used to recommend flushing the 300 intercooler, with acetone, every 50,000 miles or so