Joddler/Joggler and hole punch

Bowie69

Doing a lot of sheet metal work at the moment, been looking at getting something like this, to put a flange on steel, and also to allow me to do the many hundred plug weld holes I will need to do:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Setter-Stepper-Joggler-Joddler-Flanging/dp/B00TE1OT94

There are el-cheapo version like the above, normally I would eschew these and go for a mid-priced alternative, however finding anything that has a brand associated with it that is less than £60 is tricky.

So has anyone got one and is happy/sad with it, and any recommendations?

Thanks very much! 

:) 

I used a air powered version some time ago, was happy with hole punching part, but the edge setter did not do a good job from memory it really did not seem have the power on thin sheets even though it had the power to punch through thick sheets with the punch.

• Like 1

I bought a Sealey version a good few years ago when rebuilding a tractor, the punch broke at its pivot not long after purchase. Really should've taken it back but it still functioned (and still does), I just need to push the punch back down as it won't retract. 

The flange setting is fine on mine with 1.0mm material but struggles to produce a decent rebate on 1.6mm, so depends on what your needs are.

iirc mine was about £50 

• Like 1

I've had a hand one for years and not used it much, mainly as I don't need to 'Joddle' joints in thin metal very often.  The hole punch works nicely but the resultant hole isn't big enough for a decent plug weld. (Ie it looks great but when you turn away the things can be heard popping off! - twice was enough for me to abandon that method.)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, that is helpful, I'll probably avoid the Sealey one in that case! Probably just an overpriced version of the cheap ones.

@secondjeremy , that's interesting, thanks, I was intending on using it extensively for preparing plug welds, though I have found 5mm holes too small for my plugs as well, so very good to know. I have seen some 6mm and 7mm versions around, so maybe I will plump for one of them instead.

Thanks again :)