LT230 transfer case upside down

oelbrenner

crazy idea ?  ( probably ) 

fitting a LT230 to a P38 would require mounting the case upside down.

for my application, I am doing an engine swap at the same time, so making brackets and divorcing the new engine from the transfer case anyway ( even if I stick with the borg warner )

other then the obvious case venting issue, anyone see any issues with proper lubrication, seals etc ?

anything im missing ?  ( probably )

On 1/8/2019 at 9:39 PM, oelbrenner said:

is it the same shaft internally ?  never thought of that honestly.

Yep, the hole in the middle of the input gear runs right through so the splines are accessible from either side. You'll just need a slightly longer input shaft, but as you're doing a divorced setup that won't be a problem. 

5 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

There's already remote LT230 kits from various places - I'm sure I saw one recently from somewhere like Rakeway or Milners, same place was doing stubby front output housings.

has anyone ordered from either vendor ?  have requests out for pricing..  here are the links I found:

http://www.milneroffroadracing.co.uk/4x4 transmission.htm

http://www.rakeway.co.uk/page12.html

thanks @FridgeFreezer

34 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I've never used them but several people have told me Rakeway can be very variable for custom work in terms of timescales (both promised and actually delivered)

The intermediate propshaft bearing in Mouse was from Rakeway. 😉 Not cheap, but good service when it needed replacing.

13 hours ago, Daan said:

This pic shows the transfer box arrangement of the esargo:

Image result for esarco 8x8

Definitely the second transfer box driven from the PTO side.

Daan

I like that, simple and clever, at the same time.

On 1/16/2019 at 6:21 AM, landroversforever said:

Are you thinking of the escargo 8x8? 

no, but that is pretty cool !  this one was vertical ( mounted on its end )  so input was on top, and outputs on the bottom.

my main concern is lubrication, but seems like if the gearing is properly wetted the oil will get slung around pretty good.  

also would need to make sure venting was taken care of.

• 1 month later...

so im going to attempt mounting and running the box upside down, and install a new vent line, and plug up the old one.

Well, not really "upside down" as the input side is higher then the output side vertically, but I will flop it over, so the "pan" is facing upwards and the selector shafts are facing down.

I have found and secured a CDL locking dicso 2 LT230 and its on its way.

my only real concern is lubrication, and seals.

lubrication:

should I adjust the fill level to ensure "wetted" gears stay wetted when at rest on level ground ?

or just put in the same amount of gear oil the manual specifies ?

also concerned with inter sling and whatnot getting oil into all the places it needs to lubricate.

seals:

mostly concerned with the selector shaft seals, they were not designed to be submerged in oil all the time.

anything else on the "top"  ( which is normally not submerged in oil ) which in this installation would be on the "bottom" that I should be worried about ?

any and all feedback is welcome !