Defender engine number location ?

Hi,

Just taken delivery of an old (1984) Defender 110 hcap for restoration. Very exciting for me as my knowledge base is literally zero. Planning to learn as I go (with help!).

I assumed it was a 2.5 n/a diesel (12J) original engine but it has an interesting 'whining' sound (on first drive) when accelerating uphill which made me wonder if it might be a 200/300Turbodiesel.. possibly even from a Disco?  (it has two bodged-in radiators,  one medium, one small, both leaking like sieves). I don't know what a defender turbo unit looks like.

If anyone can advise on engine type and where the engine number should be (I have looked all round the block for it but maybe not carefully enough) based on these pics that would be kind. Thanks.

F345FF2F-A83B-4287-BDF8-730DA4EDB973.jpeg

E0481FB4-313C-4FAB-B982-7FCA70DBA8BC.jpeg

Edited by Keith1984

Thanks.. I think it must be a Disco engine as suggested since the Haynes Defender workshopmanual shows 9bolts on each side of the cylinder head and mine has 8 each side (probably other clues too)

More pics below show as much as I reasonably can of the upgrade (found what looks like a pretty new starter motor underneath the engine too!).

If anyone can offer any opinions on what looks particularly dodgy (/unsafe) that would be very helpful.

Otherwise the plan is simply to replace badly worn / corroded pipes and both radiators (one being intercooler) and get a better frame to put them in. I guess this willl need semi-pro competence to set up?

Still can't find the engine number ..ho-hum..

9EE6A9CB-E733-44B1-AF9D-1ECD2110B0E2.jpeg

1E9934F9-DF9B-4318-B51D-8F98258551E6.jpeg

With apologies .. one last question on engine spec...

I'm now very comfy that my engine is a Disco 200tdi.

I read that you can't tell a Disco 200tdi engine year from the engine number (unclear if this is true). Engine number starts 12L090...

(just confirmed by Red90.. ty)

I've also read about (and now found) a circle stamped on the side of the cylinder head just past injector 4 which has a code. My code is 12 and 90 stamped on it (12 above the 90) which is supposed to be a date code (presumably therefore 1990) but also don't know if this is true ( this obviously this ignores the maybe small but real possibility that the cylinder head has been replaced)

Can anyone confirm please ?

Edited by Keith1984

The engine number is the best identifier, but if you were just going by pictures in an advert for example for a land rover diesel engine pre Td5 vintage in a 90/110/Defender...

No turbo = 12J 2.5NA

High mounted turbo straight into engine, no intercooler = 19J 2.5DT

A turbo with intercooler = one of 4 versions of Tdi

.... Defender 200 Tdi has high mounted turbo (like 19J) and an intercooler, and has at least 2 belts, one for PAS and the other for the water pump.

... Discovery 200 Tdi (like yours) has low mounted turbo, intercooler and belts as above

....Defender 300Tdi has low mounted turbo, intercooler, single serpentine belt and cylindrical air filter on the injector pump side of engine. 

....Discovery 300Tdi is as Defender 300Tdi except it has a square air filter on the manifold side of engine.