6 speed gearbox preferably auto

Help !

I have purchased a Lexus LS400 1UZFE V8 engine which as far as I know uses the same gearbox manufacturer as the 300TDI

Basically i want to install the V8 into a defender with a 6 speed auto

what are my options TDV6 ?

Edited by C6 MDW
Update

That's one way, yup.

6 speed = more BHP? I struggle to see how. Do you mean torque, or what?

Anyways, the lexus gearbox is an Aisin Warner AW4 gearbox. Land rover of this era use a ZF box, totally different.

You can do it a couple of ways.... Adapt the ebgine to a gearbox or adapt the gear to the transfer case.

you can use the Lexus gearbox, 4 speed, with an adapter designed for a jeep to adapt it to an LT230. This is really simple...

Otherwise you are adapting the engine to gearbox, of course your options here are much wider. But I really don't understand what you are doing so....

12 hours ago, C6 MDW said:

as far as I am aware the gearbox can increase or decrease the BHP to the wheels

Well the transmission can certainly decrease it, but I guess if you are comparing an old (inefficient) one with a new (efficient) one, then yes the BHP at the wheels may be increased.

But mainly I think that in the above situation I personally would be thinking torque rather than BHP and in that sense a new box with more ratios could be better..

Modern auto boxes are being given progressively more and more gears. The top gear isn't necessarily a huge amount higher than that of say a 4 speed box, but the gear ratios are closer together.

Modern engines are designed to have power and torque at lower RPM than older engines, for reasons of fuel efficiency and emissions. This results in a narrower power band, and therefore needs closer gear ratios to keep the engine at the optimum speed. If you were to pair a 6 speed auto box to an engine designed to work with less gears, you may well they are a less than ideal match. 

From what I have seen, the Red Winch Jeep to LT230 adaptor, will put the transfer box outputs at the wrong position. As you look at it from the back, the standard setup puts the outputs at around the 4.30 o' clock position. The Red Winch adaptor puts it at about 3 o'clock, which will be all wrong for propshaft angles, especially on a SWB. It may even touch the RH chassis ?

Unless you have a long adaptor, the oil pan flange on the AW4 gearbox interferes with the desired position of the transfer box. Again, on a SWB vehicle, I feel a long adaptor will leave you with a rear propshaft that is too short to last long. On a longer wheelbase, this will not be a problem of course.

I am doing this ATM, and have experimented a bit, as I have no money to buy expensive adaptors and the like, so am working on an inexpensive solution.

The UZFE, IMO, is a great engine for a Defender,     

The Lexus engine comes with the autobox?  Easiest installation is when you can drive the LT230 divorced with an short drive shaft. But.. maybe the LT230 has to move a bit backwards So only suitable for 100" or 110" wheelbase I guess..

Edited by Carloz

• 2 weeks later...