Flip up screen stereo/cd

Thinking about replacing the current Visteon cd/radio it's the same as in 2008 defenders,  sometimes the cd scanning jumps. otherwise the unit works ok,  thinking about something like this with sat nav capability. 

I have the original type dash with the existing unit in the grey plastic single DIN moulding with a 25mm wide spacer ring to make it look tidy, 

wondering if the unit or similar pictured will fit & if the screen would sit correctly. 

Do any of you have such a unit in their Defender ? 

s-l1600.jpg

Not sure the mechanism would last very long if you offroad much etc?
How much do you want to spend?
I'm building a tablet based system, much better for Satnav using a nice tablet screen compared to these types of screens etc, easy to remove overnight etc etc, can advise around your budget if that sounds interesting etc
I was going to use a android head unit like that one (removable screen rather than flip out, but found it horrible to use, screen low quality, lots of mistouching etc)

Edited by roamingyak

We have looked Pioneer with the movable screen and found that you can "learn" them to what position they need to go for your specific dashboard. But I have to say I was not impressed with the sturdieness (??) of the various units. The 110 is now running on an iPad for navigation and it works well. There are some options for the CD / Radio to make them "talk" to the iPad / Androids if you want.

Although I've always had Garmin, I am getting less and less impressed with the bigger screen units to work with and running things like Xmotion on the iPad are really nice once you get used to it.

I have destroyed too many CD players over the years to use them. In the Hybrid I have a Kenwood MiniDisk player but that is going to be replaced aswell - getting old...

1 hour ago, western said:

I want to retain the CD/Radio as well, I can use my notebook  running memerymap for off road use which isn't very often & the rammount tray is a bit bulky. 

I'l leave you to it then...
A few thoughts for others - my entire 500+ cd collection fits on a SDHC card less than 1 inch squared and you can listen to any radio station via the net if you've got a tiny amount of data that you can use - except if in places with no signal.
I made a mount for my ipad using thin 2 * 2cm wide Aluminium strips, put it on top of dash, fold down over the corning, fold underneath the dash bottom again, then some 3 sided strips horizontally to hold it in - point being it sits almost flush against the dash. And that was version 1 done in 30 mines in the dark for departure the next day.

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2019 at 7:38 PM, roamingyak said:

I'l leave you to it then...
A few thoughts for others - my entire 500+ cd collection fits on a SDHC card less than 1 inch squared and you can listen to any radio station via the net if you've got a tiny amount of data that you can use - except if in places with no signal.
I made a mount for my ipad using thin 2 * 2cm wide Aluminium strips, put it on top of dash, fold down over the corning, fold underneath the dash bottom again, then some 3 sided strips horizontally to hold it in - point being it sits almost flush against the dash. And that was version 1 done in 30 mines in the dark for departure the next day.

Have you got any pics of this? Very intrigued by the prospect of installing an Android tablet in the dash as it'll undoubtedly be cheaper and more functional than a normal double-din unit. How do you get it to play through the speakers?

On 2/16/2019 at 3:52 PM, western said:

just to end this, got one of the units in the first post, all working, even managed to get the satnav part working, just need to tidy up the install, need a wider spacer so the screen doesn't touch the dash.

Which unit and from where, please?

I was pondering a double-din one with no CD mechanism ("mechless") as those look like they'd fit nicely in a centre console and have no moving parts. Also quite cheap these days - there's units out there for sub-£50 :blink:

Just annoying me that very few have built-in DAB, you have to spend quite a lot more or buy extra gubbins :glare: but I guess just using iPlayer on your phone and the AUX input would suffice a lot of the time.

That looks mint Ralph , I spent quite a bit on a Pioneer unit for the 110 that has dab with a windscreen mounted aerial and its next to useless soon as I go out of the area I live I loose signal , need to read the destructions and work out if I can sort it .

32 minutes ago, ianmayco68 said:

I don’t think the sound quality matters that much does it in a 200/300 tdi  :rofl: . But I get what you mean , I think you can get better value for money on some of these units than the big names .

There is a limit though - the £12 head unit we fitted in the ambulance has a very audible background hiss / whine, granted you wouldn't hear it with the engine running in a TDi but it's very noticeable if you use it while parked up.

Quite true there is a limit to how bad is acceptable , don’t know what’s going on here but I received the usual email notification that someone had posted in this thread , which was western 2 posts one had a photo of the unit he’s installed working but it’s not come up in this thread , strange .

That's cos it was taking to long to load as the pics were a bit to large & I deleted it & I needed to leave to drive to work, now today's work is done & I'm home, here are the pics I took earlier. couldn't do anything about the reflections.

as it sticks out a bit so screen can clear the garmin unit, I'm going to get one of the Mudstuff centre consoles https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/mud-stuff/mud-defender-console.html & will have to adjust the garmins position.

IMG_20190221_113059.jpg

IMG_20190221_113130.jpg

IMG_20190221_113137.jpg

IMG_20190221_113148.jpg

IMG_20190221_113153.jpg

IMG_20190221_113239.jpg

IMG_20190221_113433.jpg