Td5 looms into a earlier pre 1991 vehicle

Im updating the main fuse box from glass fuses to blade and as i have a working td5 electronic speedo and gauges in the 110 at the moment its all wires cut and put together with blue push pull terminals from halfords (don't look very good) lol so be great to sort it once and for all, the old loom had melted a few years back when my dad owned it and i had to by pass the light main switch wiring on to a made up fuse board but yes im having a go try and keep what i can no cutting the new loom ie new wing looms to front lights and so on  will all plug in,

you say the ignition switch is different, if i get a td5 switch will it slot in to the original 110 barrel? 

i really do appreciate the advice you all give its not going in till the summer so lots of time to think and get replacement upgrades like wiper and indicator stalks and so on , 

41 minutes ago, western said:

It was PaulMc who replied to your earlier question, 

a suggestion -- I can wrap these 3 posts into a new one called something like "Td5 loom into a pre 1991 earlier vehicle"

Then it could be a easier for you to have all the info in one post & reference source for others & can be linked to the Tech Archive.

cool

22 hours ago, Scotts90 said:

So, are you fitting a td5 loom to a non-td5 engined version? 

If so, the ignition barrel switches are different...which you've already sussed out. The td5 looms have no ignition triggered heater plug wiring as the ecu takes care of this on the td5 engine. Straightforward enough to work around though.

wiring to switch as below...

image.thumb.png.a06a1be3ddd1aa90273b295d4f6f7a0b.png

im hoping the td5 switch will fit the excising 1986 110 barrel, is that right scott?

Great stuff,👍

the more info we get on this post the better, really looking forward to doing this fit now as it’s all starting to fall in to place, 

under seat fuse box and pass head light loom turned up this morning along with the interior light loom so just a few bits left to get,I’m going to replace my wiper motor while the dash is all down too if I get this right can only add value to my 110 😊

and more help to those who want to upgrade there looms.

Switch pack won't swap over, completely different receiver in the bottom of the barrel.

image.thumb.jpeg.8e80d5a20627b203774d62ab11bcc0e4.jpeg

So the above is a 2001 td5 barrel with switch installed.

image.thumb.jpeg.27d13cf3a894a8a1beddd0e90c787ca5.jpeg

and this is a comparison of the two, the upper one is a Td/TDI era barrel, the lower is the td5 one with the switch removed. Hope that helps.

so its new barrel and switch?

lets hope it fits a 110 steering collum, failing than new connectors to the original switch 

than you great help 

Have had a look it would seem the DEFENDER barrel and switch is good for my land rover, 

Edited by roverv8

Been having a look thu my new loom (planing ahead) 😂

i only need one wire to the starter motor and the main from battery live, I’ve found this plug (see photos) but it has 3 wires in it the brown with red tracer is live if I put a live to it at the relay end so my question is what do the other do? 

The other two are brown/ grey thick

and just brown thin🤔

781E6D47-8400-4576-9A0B-15D21F3C1048.jpeg

14185C26-6FCE-46E7-BE75-07E4A05A2CEB.png

7C6B8576-D096-4BCF-9C34-B79E4C1B33B8.jpeg

2 hours ago, dailysleaze said:

The connector is this https://www.lrworkshop.com/connectors/defender-2002my/C0449

Brown/grey is fed from Fuse 29, intended for the A/C cooling fan

The thinner brown is fed by the ECM to a header (C0294 under the RH seat) that powers a lot of things like EGR modulator, glow plugs...

So what one is starter motor ignition switch to turn over the engine? 

Just now, roverv8 said:

So I’m right I’m thinking Brown/ red can be used to the starter to turn engine over ?

Sorry I had already updated my answer as it might not have been clear enough. Brown/red is just for the starter solenoid, not to turn the starter motor.

Been on that web page lrworkkshop brilliant page, Right think I’m there just one more the speedo transducer it’s 3 wires in an oval plug, see photo,

is there a separate extension to the loom somewhere as can’t find it may plug in to a square block or something 🤔

mat a guess I’d say it’s right hand side of loom drivers side??

839AA0CE-1EAC-466E-824A-F32EFC4E591E.jpeg