Will Rover 3.5 V8 engine from SD1 fit to LT95?

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Rover V8's are all the same bellhousing.

Mind you, given the plentiful nature of 3.9 and bigger / newer lumps I'd wonder about fitting a crusty old SD1 lump unless it happens to be a good one.

you cant beat 3.5 on carbs best v8😀

• Like 1

The only issue will be that if you try to use the thinner and lighter SD1 flywheel (which will physically fit) instead of the thicker Range Rover type, you will have to either make up a longer slave cylinder pushrod in order for the clutch to work, or make a longer release bearing carrier sleeve.

Neither of which are commercially available AFAIK. Other than that, its a straight swap

Should fit the lt95 without drama, apart from as stated above swaping the fly wheels over.

Some minor points of note, (and I'm assuming your swaping vehical original V8s, if not please correct/forgive me) if your replacing a factory fitted V8 with one from a SD1 you may find the LR engine is fitted with stroberg carbs and the SD1 engine is SUs stick with the SUs as the SD1 engine is likely to be a high compression ratio (CR) engine (9.35:1 ish) and the LR lump a paltry 8.13:1 or figures something like that (i forget) if they are original, therefor the SUs with likely have the correct needles for the engine, and the SD1 high CR v8 should give a little more power too than the original. That is unless the SD1 V8 is a EFI unit..... in which case if you want to keep it EFI good luck plumbing it in (as you need to change fuel pumps/line etc), but you could just put your original carbs and inlet manifold on the SD1 v8 and it would still be fine.

CRs are stamped next to the engine numbers if your interested to find out for sure.

If your considering running LPG in the future, LPG loves high compression ratios as a added bonus too.

best of luck!

I can't tell if the bottom end is black 'cos it's filthy or black 'cos someone's painted it with something, neither would be brilliant. Unless there's some other reason?

Still, if someone's flushed it out and fitted some new bits it should be good to go - rear cam lobes usually go flat 1st if memory serves so that would be a sign of wear.

This was my old 3.9 after some years of use:

2005-06-07-19h53m23.jpg

And this was a dirty old one I paid £50 for to get the ancillaries:

2006-08-10-18h59m19.jpg