Eggly

😎 hi I keep having a problem with my 1990 defender. The 10amp fuse for the indicators/fuel guage/ wipers/ temp gauge keeps blowing. There's no pattern it happens randomly and not when I use other instruments. At best it lasts 4 days wet or dry days.any ideas??

Finding electrical faults can be very challenging, but I suspect the overload is not as random as you think - there has to be a logical and repeatable cause.  I'd start by trying to replicate the overload, trying more and more of the loads on the fuse until it blows.  Remember the brake lights may be on the same fuse, so just checking the other services might not be enough alone.  Make sure to test with the engine running as the higher voltage will help drive more current through the fuse and reproduce the failure.

A good chance it will be the front wiring to lights that runs between the inner wheelarch (galv. steel ) and the outer wing side panel on both sides , if it is not secured in the clips it chafes on the steelwork . Most easily checked/accessed by removing the arch plastic extensions .

cheers

Steve b

Actually, that reminds me that my wife's 2009 90 had a short on the way home from the dealer (franchised) when we bought it in 2012.  She had to abandon it at another dealer half way home for repair.  The horn was going continuously due to a short from chafing in the wing wiring which had been a workshop notice from LR for decades, seemingly never fixed at the factory.  It's a good place to start.

All else failing, disconnect and clean all wiring connections within that circuit starting with the fuse holder by using a thin bit of fine wet and dry and poking into it or use switch cleaner if you can't get anything in there. Dirty or corroded connections are often the cause of fuses blowing as the flow of current gets restricted and the resistance builds up which causes heat which in turn causes the fuse to blow. Check and clean any earth connections in that circuit as well.