Series 2a rear axle

Beechie

Help needed. I have a 1970’s LR SWB and I desperately need a rear axle for her. All I can find are Salisbury ones which are no good. Really need to get a standard axle. Or if anyone knows where I can one that’s be helpful. Thanks

Edited by Beechie

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:42 PM, Beechie said:

Help needed. I have a 1970’s LR SWB and I desperately need a rear axle for her. All I can find are Salisbury ones which are no good. Really need to get a standard axle. Or if anyone knows where I can one that’s be helpful. Thanks

What's wrong with your axle ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 4:39 PM, Stellaghost said:

If you go to the offroad centre at Lamancha they had a few series axles laid around last time I was up there they may be able to sort you out

Ok I’ll have a look. Do you know what the place is called? 

It's called Lamancha you turn off the road onto a track just past the telehandler sales place cannot remember name track goes over the hill just follow till you come to the sheds and houses then ask however looking at your photos the axle tube looks fine the rotten bit seems to be the strengthening section common on military landrovers very easily repairable in my opinion it's basically just box section cut it off clean steelwork up and fit a new piece of box section obviously cut to the dimensions of the original piece once painted it will be as good as new alternatively just remove it clean up axle with grinder and paint as before mentioned the strengthening sections were fitted to front and rear axles on military landrovers civvy street vehicles did not have them and managed perfectly well without them if your vehicle is going to get some serious abuse then it wouldn't hurt to refit hope this helps

Agreed.

That's an "extra" and not essential.

Any decent fabricator would repair that in a couple of hours. Find a farm repair workshop and show them.

If you remove, strip and clean the axle, so all they have to do is make the new part and weld it in, it should be quite inexpensive.

Or just the rot out, paint and carry on, if you aren't using the vehicle for serious off road.