Laptom

RRC Heater upgrade

I have a 86 RRC with the old 2-speed heater in it. Now that the fan is broken I want to use this as an excuse to upgrade to a more modern heater (as the 2 speed high speed is medium effective and there is no heat out of the middle vents (only window or feet heat)). 

I've found a good 3-speed (plastic one) which mechanical fits, so that is ok. Now try to figure out the wiring. The cable going into the fan is a 4 wire loom. I would expected to be a 2 wire one, so a bit puzzled. Is the heater resistance inside the motor with these 4 wire loom motor (I also received a separate heater resistor (with 5 wires ??) . 

Has anybody a good wiring diagram available? I have 1 from the Hayes manual, but that one is for the first 3-speed version and not for a later one...

The resistor is under the scuttle panel on later RRC, did you get the rest of the loom?

No, unfortunately not. I got the resistor, and I got the heater.

I can create my own loom, that is no problem, but the electrical schematics available are not from 1990's type of Ranges...

The 1970 - Oct 1992 RR Haynes workshop manual is quite comprehensive with  electrical wiring diagrams. The fan speed is controlled by the slider switch MXC5705, “potentiometer” is the LR description in my RR parts catalogue and was fitted to my 1997 RR which may have been 4speed, your 96 model may the same but that was a change over year between carb and EFI.

Yes the heat from my vehicles heater was very poor (compared to the cars I was driving at the time) from the day I drove it from the from the LR showroom and for all the 10 years I had it. 

The middle dash vents only were fitted with the AC system, my RR didn’t have AC so no middle vents.

The best heater would have been the 4speed one as is fitted into the later RR, which was on called and badged Classic, also fitted to the 300 series disco and the disco 2, but would require the require the complete removal the front part of the dash

Edited by teabag

Thanks for the reply! 

Still fiddling around. I have found a wiring loom for the heater. Still need to try it. I have the plastic heater and it fits in the 1986, so that is OK. Now find some time to get it to work. 

Still would love to find a good wiring diagram. The Haynes manual diagrams are "meuh" at the best...

My Haynes manual diagrams seem ok to me, but then I’ve never  had to  use them them. Bit I’ll do a screen print of  page from my book if u wish.

Edited by teabag

On 2/5/2019 at 2:03 PM, teabag said:

The best heater would have been the 4speed one as is fitted into the later RR, which was on called and badged Classic, also fitted to the 300 series disco and the disco 2, but would require the require the complete removal the front part of the dash

And I think (having had both types of dash out - but some time ago), also modifications to the bulkhead. At one time I purchased a softdash (as fitted to final couple of years of RRC) dash with the intention of fitting it to my '93 RR - in large part to get a better heater and vent ducts that were properly sealed - but in the end decided to stick with the original. Partly down to ergonomics (the softdash looks good but controls are not positioned as well as on the previous version), but mainly because I realised it was a bigger job than I'd anticipated. There were various areas I'd have had to modify to fit the softdash, but I'm fairly certain the area around the heater was one of the more significant ones. The heater box is a different shape and has the water pipes through the bulkhead in different places. I didn't look into fitting the more modern heater box within the older dash, but I doubt that would work - very happy to be proved wrong on that one, though!