TD5 knocking and lots white smoke

Mean Green

I have a 1999 TD5 which has a very load knock and plumes of white smoke, both at idle and under load. No power when trying to drive and a great impersonation of a steam train both sound and smoke.

A search on the 'net found this video on Youtube which sounds exactly the same. Unfortunately there are no answers given as to what it actually was.

Any ideas or suggestions.  

Now it will not start - although the battery is dying so that wont help - even with a squirt of easy start. It gives half a turn then stops.

Hi, It sounds "tappety" to me,so the first place I'd be inclined to look at is under the rocker cover to check everything is ok there with the cam and injectors.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along soon.

Do let us know how you get on in case someone does a search on the same subject.

Griff

Edited by bear

Does the smoke smell strongly of diesel and did it have a misfire? If so, you probably have a dead injector/s.

Is the car using water or pressurising the coolant hoses? If so, you need a new head gasket and to have your head pressure tested for cracks. If it's pressurising the hoses, your head gasket is probably the culprit and if it's just using water it's likely a cracked head into one of the exhaust ports.

22 hours ago, JohnnoK said:

Does the smoke smell strongly of diesel and did it have a misfire? If so, you probably have a dead injector/s.

Is the car using water or pressurising the coolant hoses? If so, you need a new head gasket and to have your head pressure tested for cracks. If it's pressurising the hoses, your head gasket is probably the culprit and if it's just using water it's likely a cracked head into one of the exhaust ports.

yes it does smell of Diesel and it was mis-firing. 

i am not sure if it is using water - I bought it with the engine fault as I have a spare td5 which I was going to drop into it, but it might just be easier to try to fix this one first.

5 hours ago, Mean Green said:

yes it does smell of Diesel and it was mis-firing. 

i am not sure if it is using water - I bought it with the engine fault as I have a spare td5 which I was going to drop into it, but it might just be easier to try to fix this one first.

MG

If it helps I have about 10 injectors 5 of which are on my car and I know work. 

Other thing to check, IF you can get it running, as you say it is misfiring.

With the engine running, take off the oil filler cap and see if its puffing out of there. If it is, it could be a cracked/holed piston.

If its NOT puffing any more than usual, then it more or less confirms the injectors, or one of them !

I think it's been said, but open the top and inspect the cam and followers for the injectors before you keep cranking.... 13 small bolts... Doesn't take long!

Doesn't sound like an injector not firing, sounds very metallic from the recording ! 

• 2 weeks later...

As an update - 

Plugged it into Hawkeye and it came up with a couple of faults - but not anything that seem relevant.

3001 - Fuel Temp Low
3014 - Air Flow Low Fault
3015 - Manifold Pressure Low
3016 - Inlet Air Temp Low
3079 - Temp Gauge Open Load
3129 - Road Speed Missing
3143 - Turbo has been overboosting

Does anyone know of a plain english 'idiots guide' to fault codes .. ie if X try Y etc?

I replaced the fuel pump yesterday - no real change. Still knocking and still smoking. It may be my imagination but the knock does not seem quite as bad. It started and ran and ticked over as in the video. I moved it off of the drive and into the garage and even at crawling pace it felt down on power and needed a quite big revs to move without stalling.

Now that it is inside I am going to have a look at injector loom etc. All other suggestions gratefully received.

Edited by Mean Green