Cost of TD5 Defender R380 work

Hello,

On a Defender TD5 2003, R380 gearbox.

How much would you expect or have paid for a new; clutch, dual mass fly wheel, slave cylinder, spigot, and release bearing? How long does it take, I've read a person on their own a weekend or 12 hours. But for a decent Land Rover garage to do the work?

Thanks

Sean

If you're not too far from Halifax, it's worth giving Michael at Adamson Independent Automotive a call.

He fitted my 2004 90 with a new Clutchfix heavy duty clutch, pressure plate and release bearing, (DMF and cylinder not required.)

I had to leave it with him for a couple of days but ended up very pleased with a job well done for £385 all in.

For an OE (LUK/Valeo) clutch kit and DMF supply only you're looking circa £400. Slave cylinder about £25 (AP) and about a days labour at a garage. If you're competent and can get around the logistics of dropping the gearbox and transfer box then it's perfectly doable in a day. 

Hello,

Thak you for the replies. When you say a day, how many hours would it take a garage, as the one quote I've had seems high. Yes it's to replace the above while it is all off.

So may explain the extra costs as its OEM Valeo, which I am fine with, as long as that's reasonable. Have been quoted £1,160. That's why I am looking thinking hang on that seems high, I've not done one myself and so don't know how long it should take a garage.

I'd have guessed at around the £1,000 mark. 7hrs labour at £70+ an hour plus parts ( they'll bill you for fluid, new clutch slave hose, possibly new prop nuts/bolts) so they're not overly expensive. A clutch kit isn't the expensive part, the DMF is.

I bought these this week! 

image.thumb.jpeg.0c5910eab12a796fc6b17112a5485c40.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5da12bc0f674662139c36a4d2fec69ac.jpeg

It's time consuming as you need to strip the carpets, floors and tunnel to access the bellhousing. From then on its straightforward removal of props, wiring etc to slide the box back to disengage it. Ultimately safer and easier on a ramp with transmission jacks and a couple of bodies to lend a hand. However, many have done these in their own garages and driveways but be aware that the 380 and 230 are a very heavy lump and not easy to balance on the likes of a trolley jack. 

Hello,

Yes, they charged me for the bolt to remove a stuck sump plug. Which to be fair a business need to do.

Again, I'm fine with paying the costs, as long as it's reasonable. I would expect the fluid, although didn't change it that long a go! Just better to get it all soted while it's off, spigot, release bearing. Did you go for a HD release bearing or the standard one?

Yes, it is one of the reasons why I don't want to do it, as it's a weekend job, in this weather minus 5, and it's a hard work one.

13 hours ago, Scotts90 said:

It's time consuming as you need to strip the carpets, floors and tunnel to access the bellhousing. From then on its straightforward removal of props, wiring etc to slide the box back to disengage it. Ultimately safer and easier on a ramp with transmission jacks and a couple of bodies to lend a hand. However, many have done these in their own garages and driveways but be aware that the 380 and 230 are a very heavy lump and not easy to balance on the likes of a trolley jack. 

on a td5 you can access the bellhousing bolts from the engine bay