Bigj66

TD5 to V8

As Bowie said, vastly overblown as people love a good scare story.

Also, if you buy a running P38 if it's not had a problem by now it's likely not going to.

13 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

My R380 has the higher ratio transfer box off a Disco 2 fitted. Reading through a couple of members build threads I get the impression that this setup could be a bit over geared for even the 4.6 V8.

I’ve always assumed the V8 will out perform any of the Landrover Diesel engines in terms of both power and torque so I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has experience of this.

The air box arrangement also seems to present some challenges to get right. With that in mind does the GEMS engine plenum provide a bit more space for pipe work etc than the THOR?

I’ve got a Ninety with a D1 serp 3.9 V8 with R380 with tall 5th and 1.2 T box. 

The 1.2 is fine, but I will be swapping it for a 1.4 when I get the chance. It pulls fine but feels slightly ‘off cam’ below 80 in 5th on the Mway. 

9 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

Another question regarding the issue of leaking thin walled cylinder blocks caused by poor machining. Was this quality issue ever resolved by Landrover before production of the Thor V8 ceased? Or, are the Thor engine blocks just as likely to have similar problems? 

Don't worry about it. As others have said, if it hasn't broken now, it probably won't. And don't let it overheat for too long.

I had a P38a 4.6 manual, that has a R380 mated to a Borg-Warner transfer box. The ratio of the transfer box is identical, 5th gear on the R380 is higher for the V8 at 0.73 compared to 0.77 for the TD5. So overall gearing was higher than yours will be, but it coped just fine with 32" tires on, even pulling heavy trailers. My 4.0 with the same gearbox did struggle at times, but that's beause the engine is in dire need of some TLC (mainly timing gear and cam). With a decent 4.6 you should have no problems at all. To add, the ZF4HP24 autobox has the same overall gearing in top, and even when the lock-up activates the 4.6 never struggles.

As said above, don't worry about the supposed problem with the engine blocks. If a V8 is still running today and you take some care of it, it will serve you for well for a long time to come.

There's not much difference in the intake ducting between a GEMS and a Thor. But the Thor does leave less room between the intake manifold and bulkhead, so you might not be able to route the intake as on the Defender 50th anniversary. If you go with MS, you don't need a MAF, so less space needed.

Filip

That’s a relief to hear as yes, there are many scare mongers out there.

I’ve still got some reading to do on the subject mostly earlier threads on the conversion and the problems others came across but I think I have most of the material now that I’ll need to get it done.

Biggest PITA I had was the PAS pipe, you want the angled metal section from the outlet side of the pump or you'll never route a high-pressure flexi up there. Ask me how I know <_<

16 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Biggest PITA I had was the PAS pipe, you want the angled metal section from the outlet side of the pump or you'll never route a high-pressure flexi up there. Ask me how I know <_<

How come a Defender V8 pipe can’t be used? I did read about this in your build thread and meant to ask.

18 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

How come a Defender V8 pipe can’t be used? I did read about this in your build thread and meant to ask.

Different pump, different fitting, different angle and very tight routing.

IMG_2969.JPG

This is the pipe you need..

IMG_2970.JPG

This is how the local hydraulics place did it - clean up the end, compression olive fitting into a standard 3/8" BSP (I think) hose fitting so then a replacement hose is just a standard jobby. Did the same on the PAS box end if memory serves.