Chipping Ecu/plug In Articles

JST

Over the past couple of years various mags have done articles on chipping defender/disco etc.

i am interested in the td5 only ones at the moment.

and can i find any of them.... not a hope - typical

so can anyone remember which mags had the articles.

i seem to remember LRO doing a JE phase 2 on their 90, and there was also a group test with 1/4mile timings etc in one of the other mags (LRW or LRM i think) that IRRC had a white 90 on the front flanked by two other def on a track. this latter test had JE, twisted Perf, Allisport, Dasteck etc etc

can anyone lay their hands on the articles and let me know where they are please.

i was just after some direct comparisons to look through of the different ones currently on the market. (although i think the test was some on disco some on road defenders and some on def setup for offroad either tyre or snorkel etc wise)

i am primarily interested in info either plug in, download or ecu exchange. i dont want to touch the intercooler at this moment.

any one any thoughts?

From my experience you wont get the benifit from a chip without an intercooler. Allisport in Gloucester will set you right its the intercooler that makes 70% of the difference the contact there is Andrew :D

OK i don't know if you know of the Bruce Davis ECU upgrade, but here in Aussie it is very popular as this is not a plug in it is an remapping of the ECU.

Figures show an increase in power from 102Kw to 130Kw and Torque from 300Nm to 360Nm and it only cost $800aus.

I have this upgrade and i can tell you it's bloody brilliant and if you want the intercooler upgrade gives you even more with another increase from 130Kw and 360Nm to 178Kw and 520Nm, this to me sounds a bit high and from talking to Bruce it's more like 165Kw and 450Nm but still awsome.

I'll be getting the Intercooler upgrade soon :D

There are a few others here Unichip, Tuneit but they are plugins and twice the price, Unichip is $1800aus.

Oh i have an 01 TD5 Disco

Baz.

Have you got any more info on the Bruce Davies ECU??? .... www. address???

Would be intereting to see power curves for these, as 165kw or 221bhp does seem a bit high for just an intercooler and ECU chip.... (would also be interesting to see cylinder pressures)

Most tuning people over here get around 200 bhp or 149 kw with an intercooler and a chip change/re-programme but to get any more usually require a bigger/hybrid turbo (and mods to exhaust manifold to stop it cracking/warping from higher EGT)...

In saying that, do you have the equivilent of a MOT in Aus???

As emissions is the main stumbling block - more power = more fuel = more smoke!!!

I'm sure people over here could get more in 'off road spec'.... but would be interesting to see smoke figures for the Bruce Davies chip.

Ian

Smoke is part of the first stage but is cured with the intercooler up grade, and we don't have the tuff polution laws you have so it's not too bad.

Bruce doesn't have a web page only a phone number.

Phone 061 02 9679 1978

Fax......061 02 9679 1993

Baz.

Hi Baz,

Is Bruce Davis doing your intercooler upgrade?

I've got the remapped ECU and as you say it is a very good improvement, but providing I don't stress the motor too much I would be interested in the intercooler upgrade.

Cheers

RichardK

Hi Baz,

Is Bruce Davis doing your intercooler upgrade?

I've got the remapped ECU and as you say it is a very good improvement, but providing I don't stress the motor too much I would be interested in the intercooler upgrade.

Cheers

RichardK

Yes, his intercooler seems to be the best, but it will be a while yet as i'm getting the Maxi drive locker and axles first :D

Baz.

cheers for the feedback guys and thanks for the offer Tony, yes please if yu coudl pm the number that would be great.

I was just after a forum concensus on what was the way forward regarding chip pnly upgrades. i have some opinions but was keen to learn what others thought.

any more thoughts, any got a dastek unit or JJ Fern or Allisport mod?

Forgot to mention....

My mate can chip any early TD5's.... he just can't do the later flash programmable types...

Roughly 170bhp and 375Nm without an Intercooler upgrade, or 190bhp and 420Nm if you get a bigger (decent) intercooler

Cheaper than most other places too.... only thing is he lives in Coventry.

Pm me if you want any more details.

Ian